It doesn't get any easier than this

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by crackerbee, Sep 28, 2011.

1. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I got back today after picking up tomorrows job equipment,and was unhitching my trailer when I heard a lot of buzzing coming from the backyard.When I looked over the fence I saw a swarm of bees taking up residence in an empty nuc I had on the side of the house.So I suited up and lit the smoker and went to investigate.Upon opening the nuc I was shocked :shock: to see it full of bees(probably mine I've had 2 others swarm in the last 3 weeks)all congregated in one end of the nuc,so I went and got 5 frames some of which had been drawn out and placed them in the nuc,and gave them a quart of 1:1 syrup.
    I've always heard that bees just don't do that,at least I've never read where they do.Like I said it just doesn't get any easier than that :thumbsup: :mrgreen: .

I just hope they stay now!

[​IMG]

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't know where you heard that. Many beeks leave a hive or two setting around just for that purpose. I do agree that it doesn't get any easier.

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There is a big difference in a colony sending off a swarm, and a whole colony moving from their established home.
    Set an empty hive on both sides of a hive and make them better than the one the colony is in. They will never move into either one of them. Let them get over crowded and too much food to store, and they will send a swarm into one or both of them, but they will also retain enough to maintain the original hive.

5. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Ok I understand now.Thanks Iddee :thumbsup: