It has been a long time

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by joeneal89, Aug 23, 2011.

1. joeneal89

joeneal89 New Member

27 years ago i was an entomology major at THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY. I really loved entomology but had to move on for many reasons.I think I remember from a lecture that if a colony of bees comes into contact with honey from another hive they will stop pollinating and become pirate bees ,stealing other hives honey. Is this real or did just dream this or something?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bees are opportunists, getting their supplies where they can. If there are nectar bearing flowers in the area, they will work them. If not, they will work coke cans, humming bee feeders, or rob a weaker hive. They will change from one source to another as the opportunity presents itself.

PS. Welcome to the forum. Hope you stay around.

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Welcome to the forum fellow Buckeye. :hi:

I was raised in Columbus. You've jogged those old fight song lyrics, "Hit 'em hard and see how they fall; Never let that team get the ball..." :drinks:

Walt

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome joeneal89. what you describe is called robbing... reported to be a bit more common amongst italian honey bees than some of the other european bees. since all the bees in America are mongrel I suspect almost all will rob to some degree.

approximately where are you located in Louisiana? I have family ties up in the Minden, La area.

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome, robbing is a nicer word than wealth redistribution.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

All entomologists should feel welcome here--I add my welcome to you together with all the others. :wave:
    Bees that "learn" to rob, might be more inclined to rob in the future, but it certainly doesn't become their only means of collecting. The saying "Once a thief, always a thief" doesn't really apply as you had been led to believe. :clap:

7. me2pl

me2pl New Member

wooooooooooo!!! go entomology!