It looks like they need bees in Canada, eh!

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Slowmodem, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

http://www.gnb.ca/0027/HoneyBeeGuidelines.pdf

Looks like the government will help beekeepers start/expand if you're in the right area.

Oops. I missed the Nov. 2012 deadline.

But I'll bet they still will need bees. Might be something worth checking into.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The draw back to that type of program is after the blueberry's are pollinated the competition for forage for the rest of the year.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

That's what I'm thinking around here... competition for forage...yup

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

atleast they are trying to help, here in florida the state govt is doing everything it can to make beekeepers move to another state, if the EPA and the FDA and all the other lettered govt offices had been doing there job here we would not have all the probs we have now to begin with.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

The problem nation wide was and is the unthinking and not caring about end results of pesticides so lng as the plants don't get chewed down. After the farmer doesn't really worry about bees so long as they show up for 3 weeks out of the year then they go away. No skin off his nose if you suffer catastrophic losses THIS YEAR he will have a bumper crop assuming weather cooperates a bit.
    Barry

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

they know what is doing the damage, the real problem is the USA has the best govt money can buy, and since beekeepers dont spend money on govt and pesticide,pest control, and big farming conglomerates do and alot of it,we always get the short end (if any of the) stick, what we need in florida since no1 of real power represents us is a beekeepers union, do you realize what would happen to the state of florida if just 1 spring season the beekeepers decided to say nope Im not going to pollinate your poison ridden farms and no Im going to sell all my honey to another country that does not purposely keep the honey price low by flooding the market with out of country crap fake honey, the state would implode.

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Actually, I'm reading on "that other forum" that there's a rash of bee thefts and a growing shortage of bees in California and that the spring weather has the crops all messed up and they can't get enough bees there. Perhaps some people will start to take notice of the state of bees in this country (or really hemisphere). It's sad that it takes a catastrophe to get something done in this country.

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

hind sight is usually 20/20 but govt offices for the most part are blind as a bat before during and after, but that has to do with the fact there is no consequences for the decisions they make, if they are wrong and it costs bigtime (tax payer tab) no1 is held accountable.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

OK, here is my take.
    Take deep breaths Perry, deep breaths.

We have the same pollinator expansion program here in Nova Scotia.
    There is approximately $150,000 available each year for 3 years. Maximum per keep is $25,000.
    I got the email that this program was going into effect this year again on Monday.
    I called for clarification about eligibility on Tuesday and was told to get my application in today as there is probably 25 who are doing so as we spoke. :shock:
    Upon further questioning the topic of expansion came up and the availability of packages (not normal up here). :???:
    Packages, what packages????
    The ones I sent out the email about a week ago was the response.
    Oh, the one I never got!
    Oh, that must have just gone out to the commercial keeps!

Count to 10 Perry, a couple more deep breaths!
    :mad:
    Could I please be sent that email (I am after all a paying member of the association). :doh:
    Ah, there's the email. What's this, the first pallet is spoken for and most of the second as well?
    Minimum purchase is 20 packages, (2 queens and 4.4lbs. of bees for $260 each)!
    So much for the little guy thinking about entering the playing field, which clearly has a tremendous slope to one end of it!
    Any guesses as to how many received benefit from this program? I'm betting a small handful got big $$$!

Where are my pills? Deep breaths Perry, deep breaths!

I have come to the sad conclusion that I will not renew my membership in our Provincial Bee Association.
    $115 per year for what?

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

For interest sakes where are the packages coming from and when is arrival date

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Keith. I went back and checked the email. Australian and early April.

12. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

From the probable route that the small hive beetle came to the states by. Queen failure at 30% maybe more depending on the year. A 2 kg. package is a lot of bees, but a 5 frame nuc in M May would yield the same amount of pollination when every thing is factored in.

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

I wouldn't feel confidant buying queens that were heading for the winter.
    That may explain 30%+ queen failure. IMO

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

after taking his blue pill tecumseh writes...
    I have found down thru the years that 'government assisted' programs are ALWAY (I typically am opposed to absolute statement but there it is folks... you can now say you witnessed it here first) for the politically connected and the people of means. such money may be sold by the politicians as to help the family farm (or whatever topic might bring a tear to your eye) but such money is NEVER used for those ends.

I have also noticed after the fact that the same folks that have gotten the most government funds somewhere down the road are the loudest complainers in regards to getting the government off their backs. which for me is one of the strangest full blown case of denial that I have ever personally witnessed.

it sounds to me like some one needs to reconsider their boycott of bees going north and south of the US/Canadian border. package bees may be expensive here (most should realize that you do get what you pay for in this regards) but at least they have not traveled half way around the world while moving in the opposite direction from what their biology tells them is proper.

after some small discussion (live) with a couple of Canadian beekeepers I would say that the restriction on bees moving north and south of the US/Canadian border has made any surviving Canadian beekeepers better keepers.

ps... I have been informed by a fairly reliable source that the price of pollinating bee in the California almonds has now (for several reasons I would guess) now gone thru the roof. for one reason or another it seems not enough bees showed up in the first place. I am wondering if beekeeper resistance in regards to all the nasty stuff they use in the almond groves is not a good part of what is happening there. I am told that the upper end of the price for bees is now around $300/hive. I am reconsidering whether the 'land of fruits and nuts' might be a good place to set down for a while.

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have often wondered why growers in CA don't have their own bees? Seems like a no-brainer to me. :dontknow:

16. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Tecumseh don't hold back you on expressing your true feelings. You have beekeepers that are content with how they manage their bees, and being migratory beekeepers is not something they wish to pursue. but throw enough money on the table to get people to take the leap. They appeal to our sense of greed. One becomes the whore the other the john and government that facilitates it the Pimp.

17. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Very interesting read.

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nicely described ApisBee.... I ALWAYS do enjoy reading your comments.

I would suggest that the prospect of $300 dollar pollination fees in the almonds may well set the stage for reopening the US/Canadian border since by and large it is the interest of folks like Blue Diamond that is the tail that is wagging the dog in the bee keeping business here in the US. of course there is bad things that always comes along with the good in any change..... that is cheaper packages and queens may result in the return to less sustainable and sloppy beekeeping practices.

I would also say as being one of those people who has participated in migratory beekeeping in a fairly significant fashion in the past there is not much that I find in that prospects that is appealing. likely taking a leap off the deep end here... but I would also guess given the current price of petrol that any migratory beekeeping regime is in fact only marginally profitable no matter what price almond pollination might generate and a move in that direction invariable leads you into the cycle that is extremely difficult to break out of if input or output prices turns against you (and one or the other or often both invariable will).