It was bound to happen...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ablanton, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Well, it took three months but I am now properly initiated. Little witch popped me good on the thumb today.
    sting1.jpg

I'm a little worried, though. The girls have been surprisingly docile from day 1. Today, though, very ornery. Some of you may recall that I found a new queen two weeks ago. Today was the first time I've been in the hive since then. I was just taking a peek to check the honey super. Two weeks ago, 3 or 4 of the ten frames showed some light frosting where they were just beginning to draw out comb. Today, 10 frames slam full of honey & nectar. I haven't fed them a drop in the last 5 weeks, either. So, now I am wondering if that new queen didn't take and they've got nothing better to do than make honey and be in a foul mood. I only spent about 5 minutes today looking in the super. I'm going to go back in tomorrow when I have more time and see what is going on in the two brood deeps.

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Are you on one or two brood chambers. Bear in mind the bees will only partially fill cells with nectars, to condense it down over night. If your running only one brood chamber then they could be crowding the queen for space with pollen and nectar. Try rearrainging the brood nest honey to the outside brood in the middle and if not already done, give 2nd brood chamber if for no other reason then to give the bees somewhere else to work, and store nectar.
    Barry

3. ablanton

ablanton New Member

No, I am running two deeps for brood. The other thing I didn't mention above was that I pulled two frames from the top deep and 1 frame from the bottom deep to start a split. There should have been plenty of room in that hive.

I checked the nuc today, also. The two empty frames that I placed with the three brood frames are slam full, too. Maybe there is just a mega-flow going on around here. I have been feeding the nuc via hive-top feeder, however.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you get 10 to 30 in the first 3 seconds the hive is open, they are getting antsy. With 1 sting in 5 minutes, they are docile. After all, they are bees.

If you play with fire, you will get burned. :D

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congratulations, and you get an extra slice of pie for posting the picture! :thumbsup:

6. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Yeah, Perry, I posted the pic just for you!

7. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Well, I went back in to the hive today and all is well! EXTREMELY well! I didn't see the queen, but there was plenty of eggs, larvae, & capped brood. Only three SHB in the two beetle jails and I didn't see any running around.

I couldn't believe how much progress had been made in two weeks. The three deep brood frames I had pulled two weeks ago for the split had already been replaced. The 10 medium frames in the honey super were drawn and full of nectar. They are just beginning to cap 4 or 5 of the frames in the middle. Is this much progress in two weeks normal? I think I had posted a week or so ago that the girls were zipping out of the hive like they had been fired from a sling shot, so I knew they had found something good. Whatever it is, I hope it is still blooming!

Since all 30 frames were fully drawn, I added a second medium super with empty foundation.

Oh, and I got my second sting. Got popped in the cheek, but it didn't feel near as bad as the one I took in the thumb yesterday. Wasn't sure I'd actually been stung at first, but after 8 or 10 seconds it started burning a bit.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds like a strong flow alright. It can be amazing how much can happen in a week or two when a heavy flow is happening.
    It might be early on yet with stings but after the first few in the spring they start to become more of a distraction than an event. They still hurt initially but they quickly seem to fade from your mind. That said, it depends on where you get stung too!