Italians or Russians?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Joshua, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Joshua

Joshua New Member

My Italians died this winter, we have real cold winters here (lows in the negatives) I think the cold killed them. Will Russians last better?

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

you have to post some more info to get an answer, your location and actual temps, also pictures of the dead bees and of the frames.., they can die for many reasons other than cold, most likley it wasnt the cold but something else..

3. Joshua

Joshua New Member

I'm in Michigan and the low we've had this winter is -10 Fahrenheit

It won't let me upload pics

4. roadkillbobb

how do you know the bees are dead? are they all in the bottom of the hive in a pile? are there any stores left in the hive, did you treat for mites before the winter? you may have to have more posts before you can load pictures..dont throw out the dead bees you can send them out to the usda fr free testing to see what killed them..

5. Joshua

Joshua New Member

on a warm day I saw that not a single bee was coming out so I popped the entrance reducer out to clear it and the bottom was covered in dead bees, then I opened the top and there was about 4 frames that had dead bees on the top front corner.

I did treat for mites in the fall and had a lot more than I should have, all the honey that was left was in the lower box so I don't know why the dead ones on frames were in the top box

6. roadkillbobb

sometimes bees will starve to death and not move to where the honey is if its too cold...but scoop up a good cup of bees and put them in rubbing alcohol to preserve them in a sealed jar, I will find the link for you to send them off to be tested for what killed them, its all free and you get back a nice report on what happened to the bees..

7. roadkillbobb

Bee Research : How to Submit Samples
    this should be the link, read how to send them, its always good to find out what happened to the bees so you can work on not letting it happen again..

8. Joshua

Joshua New Member

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

as to the climate question, I had a Wisconsin or Minnesota bee mentor one year and she kept Russians.

10. Joshua

Joshua New Member

How did they do?

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Very well. They are a bit hotter than Italians, but they form a nice tight cluster for winter. You can read her posts on here, I think Riverbee kept Russians

12. Joshua

Joshua New Member