It's 100 degrees & I caught a swarm!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Aug 21, 2011.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

This is the craziest thing I ever saw. I went out to the bee yard early this morning to pick up some stuff from last nights storm - when I "heard" bees buzzing and lo and behold - there was a swarm of bees on a tree limb and most of them were on the ground! I figured they must have swarmed yesterday and the storm knocked them on the ground. I went and got a hive body and picked up a few bees with my bee brush & shook them in the hive body, and the next thing I knew they were marching into the hive. I sat there and watched them and the others came down off the limb and the queen must have been last because there was a "ball" of bees at the end and I figured they were protecting her. It was a huge swarm too. It has been 100 degrees here the last few days and we had very humid weather yesterday. So we are going out there tonight to move the hive to the bee yard and I think I will put a top feeder on them tomorrow afternoon. So is that what you guys would do? WHY would bees swarm this time of year? I have no idea which hive they came from either???
    :confused:
    I had lost one of my hives to the wax moths last week - this one put me back up to 10 hives again.

2. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

What, no pictures or video? Good job! :drinks:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would get that feeder on tonight. I removed a hive from a tree Friday. It was a big hive. The bees covered all ten frames in a deep hive body. They did not have an ounce of honey in the tree. Yours may be a starving abscond rather than a swarm.

FEED, FEED, FEED... Pollen patty, too, if you have one.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Iddee writes:
    Yours may be a starving abscond rather than a swarm.

tecumseh:
    at this time of year unless you have been on some significant flow this is what comes to my mind first.

5. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

We just now came in from moving the hive at 8:15 - it's almost dark outside - do I put on the feeder now ? this time of night? and do I mix it 1:1?

6. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

OK - I just came in from putting sugar syrup 1:1 on them. I used up all the sugar I had in my house - I have slowly used up my sugar stores from last spring's sales.

There were a lot of bees in that swarm - it was huge. I still have activity in all my hives, so I don't know where it came from - how can I tell other than getting into each hive? Would "part" of the bees leave?

When I caught it, I just picked up a few bees on my bee brush and shook them into the hive body and they went into there like soldiers marching. But I was able to place the hive body next to the swarm that was on the ground too.

We have had a couple of decent rains this last week and the clover is up and some is even starting to bloom - so I hope our fall flow is around the corner. It seems that this has been the worst year for bees since I have raised them anyway.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It could be a tree hive or a neighbor's hive. They will many times go to an apiary when swarming or absconding.

No, an abscond will not leave many bees.

They will likely take a half gallon of feed daily, so I guess it's sugar shopping time. :wave:

A swarm will usually march in a hive on their own if on the ground.

1:1 is for brood rearing.

2:1 is for feeding stores.

Anywhere in between will work. They aren't particular. They will make it into what they want.