It's a good day in the bee yard when there's no swarm cells

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by CharlieB, Apr 7, 2012.

1. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

I've been really nervous about my hives swarming. I just went through my 8 rooftop mega hives which took all day and found no swarm cells. About a month ago, I opened up the brood nest placing foundationless starter strips frames in while moving brood up. (A Michael Bush thing). It's really working so far. I pulled off another 50 pounds of honey to open up the supers to give them more room as well. (An Oliver Frank thing).

I also managed to spot all the queens in each hive. I've started the practice of taking the frame with the queen and placing it in a "safe house" nuc while doing my inspections. It helps me to relax more knowing I'm not going to accidentally roll her and I can pick up the inspection pace as well.

Now I have another 8 in Saratoga to do. I'm going to need more beer. :thumbsup:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is a good day for sure, nice to see everything working out for you.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I like the idea of placing the queen in a safe situation while doing the inspection. Sounds like you got it going your way good job thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Yeah I like that 'safehouse nuc' idea too! Easy enough to bring a little nuc along for a big inspection day.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Charlie, That's a great idea! I sign on along with River's and Obie's approvals. :thumbsup:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    An Oliver Frank thing

tecumseh:
    how is OD? I must have several hundred pounds of his old bee journal here. <something of a story there.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I like the nuc idea also,but too many Beers can make drones look like queens.:lol::lol: Jack

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Jack you're hanging out at the wrong bar!!:lol::rolling::drinks::rolling::lol:

That is a good idea to keep the queen safe, just be sure she gets BACK inside the original hive too.

9. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

He's as feisty as ever. We have a swarm catching contest on a Beesource thread in which he's in the lead and lets us all know about it daily.

10. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Funny you should mention that. Just yesterday I placed the "queen frame" in my nuc. When I was all done, I took the frame out and looked for her before I put it back. No where on the frame. I looked in the nuc and she was walking along the side of the wall with some nurses. Glad I checked!

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

That is what would worry me. And I still have trouble telling queen from drones. I am so glad I did my cutout. My nucs are arriving on April 28 - after flow is mostly over... GRRRRRR.

Gypsi