Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been really nervous about my hives swarming. I just went through my 8 rooftop mega hives which took all day and found no swarm cells. About a month ago, I opened up the brood nest placing foundationless starter strips frames in while moving brood up. (A Michael Bush thing). It's really working so far. I pulled off another 50 pounds of honey to open up the supers to give them more room as well. (An Oliver Frank thing).

I also managed to spot all the queens in each hive. I've started the practice of taking the frame with the queen and placing it in a "safe house" nuc while doing my inspections. It helps me to relax more knowing I'm not going to accidentally roll her and I can pick up the inspection pace as well.

Now I have another 8 in Saratoga to do. I'm going to need more beer. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I like the idea of placing the queen in a safe situation while doing the inspection. Sounds like you got it going your way good job thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Yeah I like that 'safehouse nuc' idea too! Easy enough to bring a little nuc along for a big inspection day.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Charlie, That's a great idea! I sign on along with River's and Obie's approvals. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a snip...
An Oliver Frank thing

tecumseh:
how is OD? I must have several hundred pounds of his old bee journal here. <something of a story there.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Jack you're hanging out at the wrong bar!!:lol::rolling::drinks::rolling::lol:

That is a good idea to keep the queen safe, just be sure she gets BACK inside the original hive too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a good idea to keep the queen safe, just be sure she gets BACK inside the original hive too.
Funny you should mention that. Just yesterday I placed the "queen frame" in my nuc. When I was all done, I took the frame out and looked for her before I put it back. No where on the frame. I looked in the nuc and she was walking along the side of the wall with some nurses. Glad I checked!

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
Funny you should mention that. Just yesterday I placed the "queen frame" in my nuc. When I was all done, I took the frame out and looked for her before I put it back. No where on the frame. I looked in the nuc and she was walking along the side of the wall with some nurses. Glad I checked!
That is what would worry me. And I still have trouble telling queen from drones. I am so glad I did my cutout. My nucs are arriving on April 28 - after flow is mostly over... GRRRRRR.

Gypsi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts