It's about time!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mama Beek, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Been awhile since I was here....things sure do look different! Thanks to all of you who didn't forget about us :smile:

It's been a crazy summer...all kinds of happens to gab about. We got all moved, got the girls all settled in out back, got about an acre garden planted, got everybody working like crazy, got too tired to care that we didn't have internet at the house, got too tired to care about getting it hooked up too :wink: In about a million ways it seems like I left my children behind in North Carolina and arrived here with grown folks who I respect and admire more than I have words for.

We are all settled in now right around the corner from the rest of our family. The kids have all had a good time with the cousins, and aunts, and uncles...it's good to be back home. We've got some big plans for the future...but I'll save all that for another time.

Baby Beek and I were able to spend a few weeks in Washington and Montana in June and July. It was amazing to see the bee yards in Montana...it seemed like there was one around every corner. We were thrilled to take our first train ride, and I enjoyed seeing my baby girl's eyes get wide as she took in her first views of the Rockies, the wide flat prairies, bear running along the roads, and her huge smiles at the young man who has captured her heart and branded her 3rd left finger with a gold ring.

I've watched my boys turn into full fledged working men and forced myself to stand back quiet while they learn some lessons about the bigger issues in life. I stand wordless often as I watch them build farms, relationships, dreams, and their futures with tears in my eyes and the heart of a proud mama about to beat out of my chest. It's amazing how much a young man can change in a short summer!

I'm glad now to see the leaves changing color, settle into a slightly slower pace than we've been keeping, and finally get time to catch up on old friends. So.... how have y'all been???

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well hi. I guess I'm new, but I know what you mean about watching children grow up - my youngest is 21. Nice to meet you.

Gypsi

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Nice to meet you too Gypsi! My youngest is 16 but keeping pace with the rest of the pack just fine. It sure did go by fast...

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

HOLY SMOKES!

Hi Mama Beek, long time no.......................read! :lol:
    Hope you and yours are doing well and am glad you found a chance to pop in! :thumbsup:

5. Gypsi

I'm only online when I'm at home and no children are here - got 4 grand's - ages 5 weeks to 12 years. 12 year old is giving her mama fits. (mama has some fits coming I'm thinking.)

6. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Mama, I'm so glad you're back with us. Was a bit worried, but it seems things are good. Did I say I was glad you're back? What this about Baby? A gold ring? I guess a huge CONGRATULATIONS are in order. Did I say I was glad you are back? :yahoo:

Send me a PM with your address and Jane and I shall be happy to send seed and add to that garden.

Walt

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I was wondering what happened to the beeks, how many hives do you 2 have now? need to post picks of the new area, sounds like lifes good and Im glad to hear (read) it:thumbsup: welcome back.

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I know how that goes too Gypsi...my oldest is reaping the rewards of not doing enough training in those early years with her first 2 kids. The sass going on over there is enough to make me want to walk through the house with the soap bottle most days....but the saying goes "you pay for your raising" and she is doing exactly that I guess.

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Yep...we're back! Sorry to have worried folks, it sure wasn't intended.

Well...our Baby Beek is sporting a pretty piece of gold. A "promise" ring for now, but the next one isn't too far off...they are already making plans for the big day. Thankfully he is still in the army for a couple of years and they want to wait until he's out. She'll have plenty to say about her fella I'm sure :wink:

Keep your eye opened for that pm...we have more room to garden now than we can keep up with!! Thanks for the offer to share seeds!

10. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We have 5...down 1 since the move, but they are healthy and happy so I'm not pouting about it. If all goes well we plan to expand as rapidly as we can come spring. We'll try to get some pics up as soon as we can...I may be moved into a house, but unpacking things like cameras and various computer cords is slow going :lol:

11. Gypsi

I order my sweet potato starts from Sandhills I think.

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome back and much happiness in your new digs. :)

13. Omie

Omie Active Member

Hi MamaBeek, glad to see you back. Great post, enjoyed reading it. My two girls are over 30 now, so I have been there too. :)

14. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Hi Mama Beek, I was wondering what happened to you and Baby Beek. You say you moved? Where did you land?
    I was recently thinking about all the names I used to see frequently on this forum that I don't see any more. It makes you wonder what happened to those folks.
    Glad to have you back!

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

very glad to see you made the move successfully and every 'glader' to see your most recent post. tell Walley's Baby Beek that we miss her also. I guess you might need to change your current location???

we be doin' here. last year (2011) was a disaster here with the drought but this years has been a bit kinder to this old beekeeper and his girls.

16. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee Guest

Yep, we're back! but for now, Baby Beek is here under a new name due to complications with trying to get into my old account. We'll see if I keep this one or not, I might try to have someone help me get into the old one, I don't know. I'm really looking forward to catching up with everyone again! I missed you guys.

Thank you for the congrats Walt B :grin:! Maybe I'll post pics sometime soon.

The bees are doing well and I plan on posting pics of the new location. We even managed to get some honey but, we can't extract it yet :( As soon as I can get an extractor though, we'll have a few supers worth of honey to bottle up! even in spite of the drought. Anyway, it's good to be back and I so wish that there were more hours in a day so that I could several here and get caught up!

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

18. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

well Hi there srvfan and Tec! :wave: Thanks for the welcome back blueblood.

I'll be getting location squared out Tec...thanks for the reminder! We are smack in the middle of good old Missouri now.

The girls did well despite a rough move and then drought, we are glad to have a little honey to extract and enough to get them through the winter. It has been fun for us to drive down the miles of gravel before we even get to a paved road and look at the multitudes of blooming things for the bees to enjoy during the time when we used to see a month or more of dearth. We are also enjoying the acres upon acres of goldenrod that's blooming all over now...who knew old weedy pastures could be so pretty?! We are on a mission this winter to acquire as much wooden ware as possible and get as much foundation prepared as possible so that we can make the most of our bees next year...we seem to be in a terrific area for honey production :grin:

19. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Good to see you back Mama Beek:thumbsup: and welcome back to the Hub of the world:lol:. Don't get too excited over the goldenrod you see (yours may be different in your area) i rarly see a bee on the goldenrod here, but they do work the white & blue Aster hard. Don't know where your located from Fair Grove? but we are having our Festival this weekend (Sept. 29 &30) our little town of 1400 population, will be host to 40 to 50 thousand people. I will be in the Farmers Market Tent if you make it, Hope i have enough honey to last two days. I've missed reading your post about your family and bees, As for your little girl fiding her (hopefully) life long mate, i'm happy for her.But, i'm sure you've thought about this. My little girl (sept.26) just had her 25th wedding Anniversary, and i still once in awhile tear up when i walk pass her old bedroom. I can still hear her say Night, night, mommy and daddy, see you in the mourning.:cry: Enough of that. Glad your back. Jack

20. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We have tons of different varies to Aster around here too!! Wish I could make it down your way Jack...I know the kids are all dying to get down there and say howdy, but this weekend is crazy busy (most of our days are since the move). I'm running top speed most days trying to keep up with everybody's schedule around here...keep thinking if I go faster I'll get it all done :dash1:

Hopefully we will get down your way sometime soon...there is LOTS we want to chat with you about!

I know what you mean about when the girls grow up...my oldest is turning 30 this February, every so often I could swear I hear her little 4 year old voice singing out in the back yard :crybye: