It's February ALREADY?!?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I can't believe it's already February. I mean, what happened to January?? Heck, what happened to December?? I feel so far behind the ball right now. I still have hundreds of frames to put together, need to build 25 migratory covers and 5 pallets... still need to convert my boat trailer to a hauling trailer (I chopped up the old boat last fall with my circular saw and hauled it off to the dump one piece at a time)... aargh! So much to do and now only about 6 weeks left to do it in!

To make matters worse, my classes this semester are killing me! My finance class alone takes up about 20 hours a week with the homework (and this is supposed to be a 100-level course?!?). What am I gonna do?

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Quit posting here and get too it! :lol:

I'm in the same boat. And unlike the past, I just seem to muster up less and less energy when it's so cold outside. I still got yards that need cleaned up from last fall.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I don't think any finance course should require that much time. Is the course about definitions or present value/future value?

Perhaps get someone to lend you a bit of hand on your to do list.

and always remember... luck favors the well prepared.

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

NPR is supposed to run a story today about the concept "The older you get the faster life goes by". I guess there is even a medical hypothesis for this. Mathematically, when you are younger a year is a bigger percentage of your life. As we age, a year becomes a smaller and smaller percentage. Maybe we start to think in terms of decades instead of years!

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Maybe it's kind of like how you burn through the last half of your tank of gas much faster than the first half.

I hope I can catch the NPR broadcast. My theory is that, when young, you have a limited number of things "going on" in your life: Things that interest you, or you care about, or you are responsible for. As you get older, there are a gazillion things "going on," leaving you with less time to allot to each item, creating the impression that time is flying past.

There's a long philosophical dissertation in here, somewhere!

Happy GroundHog Day!

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Oh no kidding! If I wasn't at work right now, I wouldn't have time to.

It's about finding present value/future value, and it shouldn't require that much time, but by the time we got into valuing coupon bonds my head started spinning. I keep having to re-read the material 3 or 4 times for each homework question. It would be so much faster if I could read it just once and understand it the first time, and that's the way it's always been with me up until this class. Something about it just confounds me.

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I feel for ya SgtMaj.... hopefully you will get to a point in that class where it just sort of "clicks" for you and things begin to get a bit easier. Hang in there and let wait what you can until things slow down a bit for you.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sgtmaj writes:
    It's about finding present value/future value,

tecumseh:
    well the sad news sgtmaj is 'that' (to me) is something like accounting (or calculus) in that the only way to gain some ease with this subject is to do the home work. sadly there is no get out of jail free card in that game, nor any cliff notes. just hang in there and 'do it' and almost by magic one day you will wake up and both concepts (one being just the inverse of the other) will seem so routine you will have a difficult time recalling why you previously didn't get it.

both concepts (most folks tend to use one and not the other) are fundamental in understanding basic finance. they also represent REAL skills that are nice to shove in your tool belt and pull out at an appropriate time (ie both are something that you can use again and again in the real world).

9. rast

rast New Member

Sarge, I'm in the same boat also, I'm just glad my wife talked me into buying fewer hives than I was going to. I've only got about 70 frames to wire in foundation and about 15 bottom boards to go. The trailer is already laid out, but not gonna try to weld it up til after the orange bloom (thinking positive).
    Age has got me. When I was a lot younger I could stay up working til midnight and still be to work on time and productive the next day. Now that bed is calling about 9 pm.

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That's the other problem with this class. Because it does offer real useful skills, I can't just skim over it and do just enough to earn an A... I've got to make sure I really understand each piece of it here because I do see the value in it.

My other class this semester on the other hand is International Business Environment... now that's a class I can just skim through because it's really not got anything to offer me besides a few more credit hours toward a degree.

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

My wife's been trying that with me too... but I'm pretty stubborn... of course, so is she. Ever seen an unstoppable force meet an immovable object before? :lol:

Well I'm not too far off from you on the bottom-boards, I've just got 21 more to go... but the frames I'm much farther behind on... got 199 sitting in the living room waiting to be assembled and another 200 will get picked up in a couple of weeks.

I hear that.