It's GO TIME!!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yayy, it's finally here. Spring has sprung and I'm getting into my first trapout of the year tomorrow. These bees I've visited before, I was called about them last summer and tried to do a trapout then, but the bees kept chewing through the silicone caulk to make a new way into their hive so by fall I decided to just let them try and overwinter and if they survived the winter I'd get them in the spring when it's easier and they are more likely to survive the process. Well, they survived the winter alright. So tomorrow I'll be back at 'em.

Then Friday I think I'll check on the other two hives I knew of last fall. One is in an apartment complex behind a brick wall. They are in a bad spot where they are, can't hardly get to 'em. I tried sucking them up last fall, but could only get the bees coming and going. Nevertheless I did end up removing about 10-15 thousand bees, but I think there may have been enough left to make it through winter, if so I'll just have to see what I can do there. I might try building a scaffold to get a bait hive up to them.

The other one was a bee-tree.

AND, even if neither of the other two pan out... it's getting to be about time to make splits, so with the weather so nice I think I'll get into that this weekend.

I'm so excited! :yahoo:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Still haven't had a day above 50 F here, waitng for a good day to throw on some patties.
    Tough hearing from you Southern Folk talking about swarms and trapouts already and all I can do is stand out front and watch.
    Green with envy! :mrgreen:

3. rast

rast New Member

Perry, look at the good side. At least you have plenty of time to have your equipment ready. Things happen so fast here after the first of the year, I am always behind.