Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 108 Fahrenheit here. But after having a couple of hives go laying worker, I went to the apiary instead of staying indoors. I lost my biggest hive to their queenlessness, and the queen I bought them.

So the big italian hive took out the bee tree I think. The big hive was about to rob my little yellow 2 box nuc as well, caught them this morning and made the entrance smaller. Then I put out 2.5 gallons of cutout honey from last week. Had a couple of beetles in it, wasn't fit to bottle, starting to smell a little like fermentation. The honey in buckets took the attention away from the nucs, and the nucs got some of it too. The bees can handle quality control. and the italian hive is about half way through capping the box of honey from the large hive I had go queenless. When it's capped, it's mine, they are refilling their super as well. Robbing isn't good, but it did insure that nothing from the queenless hive went to waste, as the bees were too old to get going again and they died. (happens. A worker bee lives about 35 days, I think. (checking, my brain is hot at the moment)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts