Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
well a lefty for sure.

the real problem with the fabis score is it is always somewhat inconclusive... which is to say it's conclusion revolves around where exactly you draw the line (and at least by what I could tell it is a log type scale).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I went to buy queens today and now just finished requeening hives 1,2,3,and 5,and did they ever light me up.I have on wool socks(2 pair),sweat pants and sweatshirt under a full bee suit,and still racked up 3 or 4 dozen stings.
Then right before dark tonight I'm going to do away with hive #4 the evil ones,and after considering all suggestions,I've opted to go with my queen suppliers advice,to break down the 3 medium supers and put them in large heavy duty contractor grade trash bags and double bag them them zip tie them shut.The super on the bottom board is going in bottom board and all to cut down on any stragglers getting away.He said if the heat doesn't kill them overnight,it will when the sun hits them tomorrow.

Hope it works!!!:beg:

·
Super Moderator
3,518 Posts
Leather boots beat wool socks. I have 2 brown pair. (I don't use my black ones, or my black rubber boots, but brown rubber boots would work.) Good for you on everything though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Let us know how it goes! Probably a wise choice. Stay safe! I'm with Gypsi and boots! Do you have a feed store or Wally World near by to grab some high rubber boots before this venture? :eek: Layer...layer...layer!!! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
3,518 Posts
If the queens from 1, 2, 3 and 5 had mated with AHB drones, following generations might get even hotter. 5 quite possibly had, as I understand it,

·
Registered
728 Posts
Culling a colony

I'm a bit late but this post may help someone.

At dusk, when hopefully all the bees are in the hive, close the entrance. Pour a cup of petrol (gasoline) into the feeder hole and seal up. Leave for 24 hours. The bees should all be dead. Shake off the bees and well air the frames before re-use.

·
Super Moderator
3,518 Posts
What about honey quality with your system Barbarian?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Let us know how it goes! Probably a wise choice. Stay safe! I'm with Gypsi and boots! Do you have a feed store or Wally World near by to grab some high rubber boots before this venture? :eek: Layer...layer...layer!!! :thumbsup:
Got a pair of knee high snake boots I have for hunting.

They get through those I'm quitting:lol::lol:

The wool socks I wore only allowed 1 sting,wish I could say the say for the rest of my Pigeon Forge full beesuit,they got me through that with no problem,even with sweat pants and shirt underneath.:chased:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm a bit late but this post may help someone.

At dusk, when hopefully all the bees are in the hive, close the entrance. Pour a cup of petrol (gasoline) into the feeder hole and seal up. Leave for 24 hours. The bees should all be dead. Shake off the bees and well air the frames before re-use.
Better late than never,thanks anyway for the tip Barbarian.:thumbsup:

I did bag the 2 top supers earlier today,so all I have is 1 more medium super cover and BB,gonna hit em at dark:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
ankle biters... don't you just hate that kind of bee? my usual garb is a set of red wing boot and pants I can stuff well down into my boots.

you need to get those boxes of dead bees out of there bags pretty quickly or you will have a very nice crop of small hive beetles <I would guess if you had some co2 you could gas them outright in the bag and then dump the dead bodies out on your garden... they make good compost.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Good post..... Gypsi. You have got me thinking. :?:

The priority of the situation is the safety and comfort of Crackerbee's household.

In the UK, killing of colonies is used for the statutory method of dealing with American Foul Brood. After killing, the bees, brood, combs and frames are burned in a pit and the ashes buried.

We don't have Africanized Honey Bees but regularly there may be local aggressive or following bees. These colonies are usually treated by manipulation, merging and re-qeening. In the long term, selective breeding is encouraged.

I have never had to deal with recovering honey stores from a petrolled hive. Perhaps Tec or Iddee can contribute about sulphur dioxide treated honey stores.

If you are very concerned about the residual petrol then scrapping the honey is the way to go. It seems almost a waste to do that with all the bee's work. To keep the honey crop pure, then maybe the 'contaminated' honey could be fed back to the bees in a way so that the honey is consumed ----- comb building, nucs or winter stores.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Tried last night to bag the last super,it was just after dark,and when I lifted the lid it was less less than a hot second I had hundreds of extremely nasty aggressive bees attacking me.So I opted to used soapy water instead,therefore I only had 1 super and BB to clean up.And still when I went back armed with a sprayer and a gallon jug of soapy water,they came at me like gangbusters.Then I quickly poured the gallon jug of soapy water on to of the frames and emptied it,slammed the lid on and took off.

This morning(while it was still dark)I went out to check if they were dead,and I didn't dig into it but saw no movement when I lifted the cover,then I slapped the side of the super and didn't hear a buzz.I'll have a closer look this afternoon when I get in.As far as the other 2 supers in the trash bags,I've not opened the gabs,but shook them and didn't hear any buzzing at all,so I think they bit the dust too.

Well this was certainly an experience for me,one I hope never to repeat.

I want to thank you all for your help and advice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Tough job Cracker. With those new queens installed, I guess things should start to settle down in your yard in 5 or 6 weeks?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Would you need to destroy the drone brood in all the hives or just that one? And Iddee what do you mean by "drop a handful of sulfur powder in it" - is that something that will really make your smoker...smoke? - boy I would smoke those babies till they passed out - I am nervous for you crackerbee and I am many miles from you - they are always checking here in Arkansas for AHB - so far...knock on wood...none have been found in our area anyway...that I know of. Would your bee inspector come out and give you a hand?

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
arkie, a little sulfur in the smoker is instant death to every bee in the hive, but doesn't harm the honey. It can be harvested or used for a new colony of bees.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just responded to this conversation without reading page 2 apparently. Sometimes it's just not worth trying to remedy a situation like that - I would have probably done the same thing cracker - Hope you don't have to go through that again. Glad you're ok.

·
Super Moderator
3,518 Posts
I think I'd go for the sulfur smoke myself. Heck of a lot safer than bagging hot bees. Or requeening (which I did last year, but it was too late in the year to start over with that hive)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Iddee, I wonder if half a box of baking soda and a cup of vinegar would produce enough CO2 to do them in? Where can you buy sulphur without having the bomb squad down on you. Half the things I want to buy anymore are claimed controlled because they are used to cook meth or something! You almost have to be fingerprinted to buy a bag of fertilizer!

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
A co-2 fire extinguisher would do more than baking soda and vinegar.
I haven't bought sulfur in 40 years, so you may be right. Back then, all drug stores sold it.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts