Its OK to 'pile on' here....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lburou, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Lburou

Lburou Member

I did a dumb thing this morning. I went down to change a bottom board on a gentle hive (partly cloudy skies, 65 degrees F and breezy). My smoker was out by the time I got there (I lit the fuel left over from last time, but I underestimated how much was left for this short operation). As I lifted the hive from the bottom board, I heard a buzz, saw a cloud of bees at the entrance, and felt stinging at my ankles.

Those otherwise gentle bees defended their hive with unexpected zeal. A cloud of bees chased me 100 feet to the screened porch and into the House. About ten were still stinging me through my clothes inside the house. I wish I had an excuse for going ahead without smoke....I guess I felt invulnerable with my jacket and gloves :temporaryinsanity: :)

They are not domesticated, they are wild and just living in your/my boxes.

Who will cast the first stone? ;)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

it happens to us all! you can say that now and i'm sure you have learned your lesson!!

3. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

True,true, true! I betcha I could get a PHD in smoker prep now 'cause the memory haunts me still- I was just gonna take a teeny, tiny peek! Lesson learned- no review necessary.

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

The next step is to tell your wife this story.After that you will be reminded for the rest of your life what can happen when the smoker goes out.:rolling:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I won't say I told you so. I'll just say... :rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

6. Omie

Omie Active Member

Boy, that was really dumb.

(well you SAID to 'pile on'! heh heh...)

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The ankles are probably where I get stung the most. Despite (on occasion) being trundled up in full riot gear, I absolutely hate wearing boots, especially when it's hot. My favourite footwear is sneakers (they are not sting-proof) followed closely by a nice worn out pair of "crocks". Don't know if you folks have those but they are a foam rubber slipper riddled with plenty of bee sized holes.
    :roll:
    While stings on the hands are usual, the ankles are known for "multiple shots" :lol:

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've never done anything that Dumb.:roll: Jack

9. Omie

Omie Active Member

If one is bundled up from head to toe, and there is a single 1/2 inch hole somewhere in your gear...a bee will find that one little hole.

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Omie and Perry
    That must be my problem I haven't been stung in the ankle in years. Sean as I leave my head, hands, arms, and neck exposed, the bees figure why go to the hard to reach areas when there is an unprotected bald head to sting.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When Jack does it, it isn't dumb. Just a lapse in judgement. When others do it is when it's dumb. :D :D

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I learned about boots the first time I took an ankle sting. But seriously, I was in tennis shoes when I swapped a bottom and top box last week, neighbor and I were both in bee jackets and blue jeans, no one got stung. We did, however, do this at 2 pm when most of the workers weren't home. BIG PLUS. And yes we had a smoker, and used it. second BIG PLUS.

As the weather warms up and the bee count in the hives goes up, my boots will go on.
    I'd have laughed if I'd never done it....

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Speaking of lapse of judgement and ankle stings:roll: i still have this bad habit of taking the outside frame out when checking my hives and leaning the frame on the ground to the hive (by my feet). I've done this for over forty years and at times paid for it.:eek: I've had newbees tell me i need to get some of those frame hangers that go on the side of the hive:grin:.I agree, but my tool box is a five gallon bucket and i don't have room in it for anything else. I tell them i like to get a few stings to keep from getting Arthritis (a lie, i hate stings) and getting stung on the ankle is a long way from my heart. Newbees are alot of fun.:lol:Jack

14. Minz

Minz Member

I like my slip on garden boots that go almost up to my knees. Wear them almost everywhere the wife will let me.
    I generally sport a pretty good plumbs crack though and my entire family is waiting for that sting.
    I think the entire purpose of the post was to rub in that your temps have broke 60! We had our first day on Friday and I had to work late, I was hoping for a 50 OR a sun peak the rest of the weekend but only got hail and 45.

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

And there's nothing as cold as ashes (or hot as bee stings!)
    After the fire is gone

- Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Minz, you "crack" me up! :lol: :rolling: :rotfl: