It's started

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by DLMKA, Mar 7, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I started maters, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and a bunch of flowers last weekend. The baby broccoli plants are already poking through the soil in the starter trays. We're going to start an early row of peas tonight, I started soaking the seed yesterday hoping to wake them up before they get stuck in the cold ground. Spinach and radishes got planted on the south side of the house earlier this week, maybe this weekend I'll try to get some planted out in the garden along with some lettuce and kale or collards.

Speaking of collards, I harvested collards from the plants that were sown a year ago on the south side of the house. The mild winter kept them alive and prospering all winter. It got down to 9F one night and I thought for sure they were goners. I just pulled them out to plant something new. I bet we ate 20 meals with the greens from those few plants.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

good to hear ya got something in the ground, crackerbee just pulled a bushel of carrots, but then again he is in the land of never frost!!

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Wow!!! DLMKA that's really planting early for where you're located :thumbsup:,don't forget some pics when things start sprouting.

I hope you starting those maters and peppers in the house,they don't do well much under 40*F,all the others do well in chilly weather.

I got my veggie garden in a few weeks early too this year,we've only had 2 days under 40*F since mid Jan. down here in sunny Fla.

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I've got things to put out, but everytime I have a day off, it's raining. :( Perhaps next week (I hope).

5. Omie

Omie New Member

I still have a couple weeks before I start planting spinach and such, but the crocuses are blooming and it's looking real good now! Will do that last of veggie garden cleanup by the end of this week, and turn the compost heap. I'm supposed to get a pickup truckload load of organic cow manure from a friend soon- I'll only have to pay to get it trucked over here, the poop will be free....yay!!
    Free poop!!!

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I always try to get stuff in earlier than i should. The way I figure if it doesn't work I'm only out a few cents worth of seed and a little time. It it turns out i've got two more weeks of growing before the heat and humidity wipe out the spring crops.
    Tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and borage is up already. I'll post pics when I'm on a PC tomorrow. Everything is in the basement under a plastic canopy with a little heater and heating mats for bottom heat. Last frost date here is May 5 (95%) and with soil temps already 8 deg above average it looks favorable for early planting.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

UPS, just delivered the crate of sweet onions i ordered from Dixondale Farms out of
    Texas. (30 bunches with 60 plants to the bunch) Says to plant within 3 weeks after
    arrival, now if the weather co-operates? Any of you tried growing onions from them?
    i also got the feed and weed mix from them. A neighbor done this last year and had a
    crop of huge sweet onions and sold them for $1.00 ec., he could never bring enough
    to the market. He's not doing it this year, due to health. Jack

Hey, tec. this is in your part of the country.

8. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I get onions from Dixondale every year. One of the local stores buys cases upon cases and resells them for $3.50/bunch. I grow Copra, and Ailsa Craig, every year. I stopped growing the Sweet Candy when I learned it's a Seminis/Monsanto variety. Need to find another suitable sweet onion that keeps well although the Copras from last summer are getting pretty sweet now and for the most part they are still keeping, some have sprouted but it's less than 25% of them so far.

View attachment photo 2.JPG photo 1.jpg

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

DLMKA,thanks for the info. I ordered Texas sweet and Candy onions, never heard of Copra or Ailsa Craig are they a cooking onion or slice and eat onion? Don't know if my math is right,but i figured 30 bunches with 60 onions to a bunch planting 4 in. apart would be 600 ft. of onions.:shock: Haven't told the wife yet, but i think she will be thrilled.:lol: Jack

10. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Texas 1015 is a long day onion for the south, i've not got them real big where I am. The candy onions get decent size and keep pretty well. The Ailsa Craig gets HUGE, i had some last year a little over 4 lbs. They are sweet, slicing onions but don't keep well, better have them used up by oct 1. The copras don't get very big, 3-4" but keep for almost a year. They are hot and pungent when fresh but now they are pretty mild, almost sweet.

11. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I hope you sell at farmer's markets because thats a lot of onions.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I truck farm 5 acres, mostly tomato's sweet corn, and honey, and several other veg. My wife wants me to cut back, but as long as my health holds up and i can crawl up on a tractor and hold a hoe in my hands i'll be growing something. Plowed 3 fields today, supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow.DLMKA, i was wondering how frost hardy these onions are, our last frost date is around May 10th and the info i got with the plants said they should be planted within 3 weeks after i receive them? Jack
    PS. yes we sell at the local Farmers Market and from our farm.

13. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I have top-set onions growing and looking great, the frost doesn't seem to affect them, same with fall planted garlic. I'd think those onions would be fine with some frost, a hard freeze may be a different story. If you have concerns about the weather take the bundles and pit them in the dirt along the south foundation of your house for a few days.

I went to college in Rolla, just up the road from you.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

DLMKA, thanks for the info, i guess i'll find out. I went to school in Rolla also,the MO. State Highway Patrol Academy in 1967, to become a Mo. State Water Patrolman. Jack