Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm as giddy as a school girl right now. I got my first swarm call of the season a lil while ago. I am sitting in front of the hive that I just shook them into, waiting on them to settle down. I have made a video and will be editing and uploading tonight or tomorrow. This is amazing.

James

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Congrats there James, I know you were excited on the phone!!!

This was his first swarm ever, he had not even seen a swarm in person before and got to catch it with his son!! WOO HOO!!

I was hoping to beat you to the first swarm as I had a call also, I just happened to be two counties away selling cows, and by the time I got there they were gone. The lady said they headed East and was excited she got to see a swarm in flight. I got the call from a pest control guy and just so happens he lives in a subdivision just up the road.

Sorry for yacking in on your thread James, just glad you got them put up.

Waiting for the pics!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UH-OH! He's hooked solid now. The bees just caught them another fish. :D

Congrats...
yup, and the hook is set deep too.:grin: Thanks Iddee

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats there James, I know you were excited on the phone!!!

This was his first swarm ever, he had not even seen a swarm in person before and got to catch it with his son!! WOO HOO!!

Sorry for yacking in on your thread James, just glad you got them put up.

Waiting for the pics!!
No problem there. I am glad too. I was only about 30-45 min away and she said that they just landed. I was so afraid that they would be gone when I got there too.

Aiden (my six yr old son) did get to go with me. He was walking in the door as I was hanging up the phone with the lady. He got just as excited as me.

This was the first swarm I had ever seen. It was a site to behold.

Pics and video are coming. I have to wait on Lisa, the homeowner, to email me the videos so I can edit them. Batts were dead on my camera:doh: and she was kind enough to let me video it on her daughters ipod.:yahoo:

·
Registered
978 Posts
G3, I sent a swarm call from KUB your way today, did you get it? I was up at my bee yard making desperately needed splits to keep mine from swarming and to make up a few bait hives or I would have gone.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Congrats James, there' nothing like the pure pleasure of a well captured swarm. Enjoy the swarm's music. It's a concert with no encores.
If you caught it nearby, I hope you remembered to place the family in its permanent location on the first night.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
And there you have it, another keep is now amongst us! Good catch and it was great that your son got to experience it as well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They completely filled up a medium super. I had to add another to it. I released the queen from the queen catcher at first light this morning and put a queen includer above the bottom board. Hope all continues to go well.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Hey, that's not fair. A beek's first swarm is supposed to be 20 feet up and on a limb over a creek. More fun that way. :thumbsup: :lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Iddee, i wouldn't have cared if they were like that. I was determined and would've went for them. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey where did all the pictures go to that was in post #11?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
well is better then my first swarm call--for a nest of hornets congrats and good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We'll i think i have waited long enough. The homeowner still hasnt sent me the videos. Oh well, lesson learned. Any one else wanna learn from it? Always keep/have fresh batts for the camera. Use ur own cell phone camera if u have to. If you use someone elses camera bare in mind u might not get the video.
Darn it. This being my first swarm and with my son. I was really hoping to have footage.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Yep, been there also, a real bummer. Might give her a call and ask, explaining what it means to you cause it was with your son. Pull on them heart strings a little.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts