It's swarm season in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by jmblakeney, Mar 21, 2012.

1. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Hey guys, I'm as giddy as a school girl right now. I got my first swarm call of the season a lil while ago. I am sitting in front of the hive that I just shook them into, waiting on them to settle down. I have made a video and will be editing and uploading tonight or tomorrow. This is amazing.

James

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Neat. Good luck with them.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

UH-OH! He's hooked solid now. The bees just caught them another fish. :D

Congrats...

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Which I could get a swarm nearby, within 30 miles I would be there getting them.

kebee

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Congrats there James, I know you were excited on the phone!!!

This was his first swarm ever, he had not even seen a swarm in person before and got to catch it with his son!! WOO HOO!!

I was hoping to beat you to the first swarm as I had a call also, I just happened to be two counties away selling cows, and by the time I got there they were gone. The lady said they headed East and was excited she got to see a swarm in flight. I got the call from a pest control guy and just so happens he lives in a subdivision just up the road.

Sorry for yacking in on your thread James, just glad you got them put up.

Waiting for the pics!!

6. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

yup, and the hook is set deep too.:grin: Thanks Iddee

7. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

No problem there. I am glad too. I was only about 30-45 min away and she said that they just landed. I was so afraid that they would be gone when I got there too.

Aiden (my six yr old son) did get to go with me. He was walking in the door as I was hanging up the phone with the lady. He got just as excited as me.

This was the first swarm I had ever seen. It was a site to behold.

Pics and video are coming. I have to wait on Lisa, the homeowner, to email me the videos so I can edit them. Batts were dead on my camera:doh: and she was kind enough to let me video it on her daughters ipod.:yahoo:

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

G3, I sent a swarm call from KUB your way today, did you get it? I was up at my bee yard making desperately needed splits to keep mine from swarming and to make up a few bait hives or I would have gone.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Congrats James, there' nothing like the pure pleasure of a well captured swarm. Enjoy the swarm's music. It's a concert with no encores.
    If you caught it nearby, I hope you remembered to place the family in its permanent location on the first night.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

And there you have it, another keep is now amongst us! Good catch and it was great that your son got to experience it as well. :thumbsup:

11. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

They completely filled up a medium super. I had to add another to it. I released the queen from the queen catcher at first light this morning and put a queen includer above the bottom board. Hope all continues to go well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hey, that's not fair. A beek's first swarm is supposed to be 20 feet up and on a limb over a creek. More fun that way. :thumbsup: :lol:

13. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Iddee, i wouldn't have cared if they were like that. I was determined and would've went for them. :)

14. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Hey where did all the pictures go to that was in post #11?

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Must be your computer. They are still there on mine.

16. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

well is better then my first swarm call--for a nest of hornets congrats and good luck

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Gosh Barry they already had a hive, all you needed to do is take them home and hang 'em up!!:wink:

18. melrose

melrose New Member

They're still there

19. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

We'll i think i have waited long enough. The homeowner still hasnt sent me the videos. Oh well, lesson learned. Any one else wanna learn from it? Always keep/have fresh batts for the camera. Use ur own cell phone camera if u have to. If you use someone elses camera bare in mind u might not get the video.
    Darn it. This being my first swarm and with my son. I was really hoping to have footage.

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep, been there also, a real bummer. Might give her a call and ask, explaining what it means to you cause it was with your son. Pull on them heart strings a little.