Its the end of July and I have NO honey in my hive at all???

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by 2hot, Jul 23, 2012.

1. 2hot

2hot New Member

I'm new at this beekeeping. I had a hive installed about fall. The bees are busy going in and out all day. I opened the hive up, expecting to collect at least a couple frames of honey from the super, but there was NO honey there or in the hive body!! I quickly installed a hive top feeder, but don't know whats up. It is very dry and hot here and hardly no rain this last winter. some describe it here as brown and crunchy. is this normal?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like a little better inspection is in line for this hive to see what is going on in the hive.

Brown and crunchy is not good for honey production, things need to be blooming everywhere to make the most out of it.

You did the right thing by feeding them.

Tell us a little more of your hive set up.......one deep with an medium on top or what?

3. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Am I reading your post right? You put bees in a hive and left them. then returned several months later expecting to find honey? You also put the bees in the hive in the fall?

4. Dbure

Dbure New Member

If they were installed last fall 2hot it appears they made it through the winter. Tell us more about anything you have done with them over the period you have had them. Are they close enough for you to check them daily, weekly, monthly? Last year we had a severe drought here in Texas, and in order to help my hives survive I fed each of them a quart of sugar water once a week. They survived until rain finally came in the fall with a nectar flow.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:hi: Welcome to the forum 2Hot. Looks like you've got us on your side. Pay close heed to the "hints" that the various posts have offered. We all want to hear a report from you that you've been able to extract a honey crop. But sometimes you have to invest time and effort before the girls will reward you and pay you back. If we misunderstood, please fill us in on the details.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like you are experiencing a bit of what we had here last year.

actually the equation is fairly simple blooming plants= nectar = honey. with no water and no plants there is no nectar and thus no honey.

perhaps not so obvious is that the rains (or as is true in some places snow fall accumulation) to encourage plant growth early or in the prior season is part of this equation. economist would call this a lagged effect (action and then some bit of time and then reaction).

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi 2hot:
    I think the general consensus is that it is 2hot and there just hasn't been the proper bloom and resulting nectar flow to expect a harvest (at this time).
    Welcome to our forum, bees and fun, that's what we strive for here! :thumbsup:

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The continuation of the equation goes: =happiness=health. Any one who has something to add to the equation is welome to do so. :thumbsup: