I've been a beek for 1 day!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by klpauba, Jun 4, 2012.

1. klpauba

klpauba New Member

I picked up a nuc a dusk about 60 miles from home last night. It was supplied by a fantastic keeper with over 40 years experience (and a former state inspector). I can't help to think that he'd fit right in with all the experts around here.

He really packed the nuc full and suggested that I get a box under it as soon as possible. Today I spent about 40 minutes placing the nuc over a warre hive and attaching some adapter boards to make it all work. I need to work on my smoker skills -- I had to re-light it twice!

Your comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Here's a picture of how I left it today:

Attached Files:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Suggestion...... Send him a link to the forum. We can always make room for one more at the breakfast table.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

I have no idea how that setup is supposed to work, but it looks pretty cozy!
    I bet the first thing you do tomorrow is head out to look at your new bees!
    Keep us posted as to how they go.
    Good luck and welcome. :smile:

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow is what i can say! i have no experience to offer you with warre hives but a most warm welcome to you to the forum! :grin:

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

6. klpauba

klpauba New Member

Well I'll be! Thanks for the link, efmesch ... I had been clicking just the "New Posts" link and never thought of checking out those instructional threads. Guess I'll be spending a lot of time reading (again). Appreciated!

7. klpauba

klpauba New Member

Thank you, riverbee for the warm welcome. This place is a great place to bee with all the instant friends and great advice.

8. klpauba

klpauba New Member

I'll do just that and see if he bites ...

Thanks

9. klpauba

klpauba New Member

Hi Omie. Since the Warre is a frameless/foundationless hive, starting with the nuc is a little more difficult. Normally, packaged bees or a swarm are used to get these hives going. If this newbee is lucky, they'll relocate to the bottom box and fill up the nuc frames with honey. I can then remove the nuc, add another box under the existing one and feed the honey back to them in the fall.

I haven't shared the plan with the girls, though -- I'm sure they'll go along with it. :)

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

howdy and welcome, yup its a great feeling having the 1st hive, Ive been back at it 11 months and get the same feeling every time I bring a hive home (like a kid christmas morning) my back yards full of bees and 2 out yards later I get excited just wandering around 1 of them (dont think the feeling will ever go away)

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'm with Efmesch on this one, I wasn't sure if you were embarrassed or bragging! :lol: :rolling:

12. klpauba

klpauba New Member

PerryBee: it was embarrassment but after reading the smoker thread I feel better that my smoke worked longer than expected. You'll notice that I didn't admit that I dropped the nuc on the ground (only about a 6" drop, though). I don't think I smashed any bees.

The forum really helped me to avoid many common mistakes but I still managed to make a few.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Experience has always been and always will be the best means for real learning :thumbsup:

14. Pilotbeekeeper

Pilotbeekeeper New Member

Welcome aboard. it's been a very helpful site to me, also in my first year.

15. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

from one newbie to another. . . Welcome!

16. bee stung

bee stung New Member

so hows the girls doing , whats the number of stings to date

17. klpauba

klpauba New Member

When I checked them last Thursday, they were bringing in lots of pollen. There was another thread posted regarding corn tassels and the number of bees collecting pollen -- they color of pollen looks much like that harvested by my bees.
    Pollen-20120606.jpg

We tipped back the bottom Warre box and took a few pictures as I was curious to see if new comb was being drawn. I'll post that picture when I transfer it from the camera but I didn't see any new comb yet. I might check again at the end of the week. I want to make sure I nadir another box so they girls don't feel crowded.

The best news I have is that I haven't gotten stung at all yet (I've never been stung in my life, either). :thumbsup: I'll make sure and report when I do.

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Are you sure you're raising bees and not flies? :rolling::rotfl:

19. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

As for the smoker, I fretted with natural material, until I used grain sack un-oiled burlap cut into squares. I carry several "grill lighters" in my work box and actually don't mind it going out (saves on burlap). Then I give it a quick light and a few puffs, smoke them a bit and let it go out again. Many in our bee club use cedar chips like dog bedding, but the burlap is working so far. Just hard to find the sacks sometimes.

clean bee3.jpg clean bee.jpg

Didn't get stung for over a year...then we did the cutout and got nailed...well after we were done, and unsuited. Just hanging out talking and bam! Not so bad, but I am proud of the first sting, and my club cannot bust me anymore for not being "a real beekeeper", because I have now earned my stripes! Got 2 more that day in my fingers, sorting through comb, too!

P1010029.JPG

Now I am up to five and very glad I am not allergic! Because I love these honey bees!

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Remember to smile, bee stings are reputed to provide some sort of immunity to arthritis. :grin: