I've never had a "swarm" like this before

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by CharlieB, Oct 9, 2012.

1. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

This one was a first for me. This swarm call turned out to be a colony that chose to make it's home on a tree branch instead of one of my swarm traps. Plenty of brood and pollen.

Attached Files:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That's awesome. Looks similar to R.Dewhurst's outside hive he recently scored. Is that some sort of gum tree? The leaves look strikingly similar to wacky weed, ha!

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

The tree is probably either sweetgum (east texas name, no idea of the latin) or vitex (chaste berry tree)

Nice swarm, you boxing them Charlie?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Great pics. I am always amazed when I see pics of bees that have set up shop out in the open. I am also surprised by the banding on those bees, the stripes are so defined and contrasted it seemed to jump out.

5. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Blueblood, the homeowner said it was a Maple tree. Gypsi, I hived them today. The queen is alive and kicking. I cut the comb down to size and rubber banded them into frames. They're pretty feisty so they should make it just fine. I'll add some brood and honey frames in a couple of days. They had two good size combs full of capped brood so they must have been there at least a couple of weeks.

Perry, I often get these "Tiger Stripe" bees on cutouts and swarms. They're always happy to let you know they don't approve of being uprooting and moved. Ouch!

6. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I've never seen that before. Thanks for sharing those photos and what you did in post #5. I would not have known what to do. Now I will if the same opportunity comes my way.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some years ago when I lived in el-lay (that is La or Louisiana for you yankee folks) I watch a hive live thru two season under the branch of a large pine tree. in one year it even snowed but the pine straw that lodged above the hive seemed to have protected it fairly well. out in the open as these kinds of hives are..... I think just makes the inhabitants a bit more nervous and jumpy. eventually a large truck used to haul saw logs raked it off and that was the end of that.