Jalapeno Honey and Marriage

Discussion in 'Your Favorite Recipes' started by CeeGee, Sep 4, 2012.

1. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

On a whim in the garden I grabbed a jalap and sliced a few holes in it and stuck it in a small bottle of honey.
    Today, 2 weeks later, the bottle was ready to explode from pressure. The honey is pretty runny now and there is foam on the top (appearing instantly as the pressure was released). It smells good though.
    My question: My wife believes it is a botulism petri dish, I say honey should prevent it. She says it's not all honey now, I say she's wrong.
    Am I right?

Thanks
    (if you say I am correct)

2. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Well. I honestly don't know for sure about botulism in your particular situation.

I do know that if I opened a can/bottle of any type of food that was showing a change in it's previous consistency, filling the container with pressure, and foaming...I'd treat it like a time bomb and get it out of my house, preferably disposed of somewhere no other person or animal would come in contact with it.

But maybe that's just me.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

So who is going to be the guinea pig for this??:lol:

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm waiting. Be sure all the paramedics are on call!

There is a way to make jalapeno jelly, I don't have the recipe, it is delicious but does smell a bit like dirty socks - I was given a couple of jars 20 years ago and it is superb, just what you were aiming for.. Bet you can find the recipe.

5. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

Thanks - actually I make jalap jelly a bit - I was shooting for infused honey. But I see heinlein's point and, unfortunately because it means telling my wife she is correct, it probably should go.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you test it, tell your wife to post the results after the funeral if she is right.... And I think she is.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Iddee - and you could post that jalapeno jelly recipe you've got - somewhere, yes?

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

I know a beekeeper that plays around with jalapeno honey. Only he's not satisfied with the heat he got from a jalapeno! He's working with habaneros now. I believe he treats his jalapeno honey like he does creamed honey and holds it in a hot box. I will see him at Monday nights bee club meeting and ask. He did a demonstration at a club meeting on infused honey flavors. He gets pretty exotic.

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

CeeGee- I spoke with the beekeeper that plays with infused flavors of honey. I have to admit, some of what he said was beyond my understanding as I have never made creamed honey. He has done numerous talks at bee club functions on how to make creamed honey. It's one of the products he sells as the farmer's market.
    First, he said that a fresh jalapeno contains too much moisture to add it to a jar of honey. So, the jar you experimented with probably fermented. He uses jalapeno powder. His recipe is 1pound of jalapeno powder per 5 gallons, or 60 pounds of honey. He recommends http://www.myspicesage.com to purchase the jalapeno powder. I won't go into all the details on making creamed honey because I didn't understand most of what he was telling me.
    I hope this helps.