japans case of disappearing radiation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Mar 13, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have been following the events in japan. Watching all the devistation. Now I might of been born at night but it wasnt last night. They experienced an explosion that blew out the wall of one reactor and got a 2nd they say is going into melt down. But they are saying the radiation level in the atmosphere is dropping along with the pressure in the reactor with the explosion. Am I missing something here. Im not buying into that story the radiation has to be going somewhere. That is unless of course its a very windy day and carrying the radiation away. If thats the case hope the wind isnt comming our way.

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Wondering the same thing????

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

The red flag to me is they say pressures in the reactor is dropping. Pressure once generated has to go somewhere I dont care if its the air in your tire or a nuclear reactor. For pressure to drop it has to escape. either into another chamber or the atmosphere

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

By that theory maybe the pressure is being released by the spokesmen for the nuclear facility that are under fire. They open their mouths and all pressure in the reaction chamber drops leaving none in the atmosphere.

Now really who is actually getting exposed it concerns me. I was fairly pronuclear energy until this. I thought most of the bugs had been worked out. Apparently not. Now I don't want one in Missouri for no other reason than the new Madrid fault zone

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

1... The building around the reactor exploded, not the core. The core is 6 inch stainless steel and has held thus far.

2... Pressure goes nowhere to reduce if the temp drops. They are rushing millions of gallons of sea water into the reactors to cool the cores. As the temp drops, so does the pressure.

3... There is a certain amount of radiation released under normal daily operations. As the temp cools and the reactors slow, the radiation released is less.

That's how I read the news reports. Of course, it could all be media BS and no truth to it. I'm not there. I just read what they want to put out.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I suspect Iddee has the basic factors pretty well stated.

Almost invariable age and some lack of repair will be part of the calamity.

At the end of the hoopla I suspect the total death loss will be significantly less than your average coal mine in West Virginia. Perhaps even less than on certain deep sea oil drilling platforms in the Gulf.

7. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Thanks Iddee I really couldn't get my head wrapped around that.

Tecumseh, most likely true. However the what if senerio is still kinda scaring me. I think in Missouri they would have an awful hard time dumping seawater on the reactor to cool it off. Really think I should contact my electric coop and see how they would react. Especially since they seem to be pushing for nuclear energy support

8. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I tend to not completely believe anything any official or news agency says. Having said that, I believe there must be quite a balancing act between "sort of saying" what's going on, covering your butt, and preventing a complete panic.

A month or 2 after TMI, a nuclear plant near us, Ginna, had a "little burp"...at least that was what we were told. A few months later we found out that the little burp was one stage from us being evacuated. At the time of the burp, that information would have served no useful purpose and would have created panic.

All worked out well...no side effects except for that third ear growing on my nose. ;)

Walt

9. Murrell

Murrell New Member

This I think has to do with, do not let the air pressure out of your tires after a long trip, the pressure will be higher then normal.
    The pressure increases as the tire gets hot, decreases as the tire cools.

I know go to the back of the bus, & be quiet.

Murrell

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Well, the plant with these reactors (they're all within the same facility) is on the sea and the winds there blow out to sea... and toward Hawaii and California, so some of it is likely being blown out to sea. Also, radioactive particles do become less radioactive over time (good thing, too, since every element heavier than hydrogen was once at the center of a giant nuclear reactor called a star, so if they didn't lose their radioactivity over time, life would never be able to exist). How fast depends upon the type of radiation. Some types of radiation are very short-lived.

I am sure, however, that things there are a lot worse than what's being reported... they do have to think about the trouble mass-hysteria would cause right now. 'Bout all you can do is just pray for them though.

11. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Charmd, you could always move to NC!

12. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

You have purple honey there :) might be worth relocating. Seriously though everywhere has its own unique risks. We all tend to underestimate the odds of it qctually happening to us.

13. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Well this morning the rods are exposed and explosion can't be ruled out..

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

im sticking to the theory they are not being honest with us. and Our government knows it

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm to busy to worry about it now, and don't know what i could do about it anyway. :confused: But if my radishes get as big as watermelons i'll know something is going on. :mrgreen: Jack

16. riverrat

riverrat New Member

You might want to get then radish seeds in the ground if you want them watermelon sized ones. Looks like there has been some leakage

17. riverrat

riverrat New Member

watching the news this cant be good. They have revealed the company has been less than honest in the past. I think the international nuclear community should step in and take over. At this point I dont think this company knows what to do

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A person doesn't know who to believe :confused: . It sounds like the news media is playing it down, but i don't think they can pull the wool over the Japanese people,they know first hand what radiation can do. :shock: Jack

19. Hobie

Hobie New Member

My opinion is that some of this reporting is all in the selection of the words to make you think what they want you to think. I suspect that when they say the "radiation level is decreasing" they are referring more to the rate of radiation being emitted (which may or may not be contained), not the absolute level of radiation as measured by a Geiger counter. But it sounds better the way they say it.

I agree that we are not hearing the whole story. However, I hope that people don't run scared and throw away the potential of nuclear energy in favor of coal and natural gas, which are both old technology, polluting, and ultimately a dead end when we run out. We need to look for alternatives. Now.

20. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

From what i'm hearing these nuclear power plants are alot like bee hives, you think you've got them figured out and something else happens. :confused: Jack