Jeffrey Todd entrance closures..

Discussion in 'Bees' started by tecumseh, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the motto here is recycle EVERYTHING!

Attached Files:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

in mass with thin top bars...

Attached Files:

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Tec, are these something you use for robbing protection? And if so when do you usually use them?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

entrance reducers I normal nail on starting about this time of year for my regular hives to close down the entrance for the coming winter. I also put them on new established hives to reduce the entrance and thereby limit robbing during the spring and summer. they are made from frames (the top bars) that have seen better days...

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

like I've pounded into my kids' heads over the years... use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. I'll have to show this to hubby, he swears that there is never a reason to get rid of anything because it can always be used for something else.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

that is how we operate here Mama Beek. my wife and I call it 'use it one more time'.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

That's how I grew up. too! Other people had neater garages, but when someone needed a new switch for their old stove, they always came to Dad.

If you look at my garden, the row markers are old broken frame bars.

Although I do have a work sweatshirt that really should be retired...

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

To my wife's utter embarrassment I like to scavenge in the dumpsters outside carpentry shops. I have collected so much good beekeeping wood pieces there. For entrance reducers I use sticks of a thickness that fit into the entrance slot of the hives. No need to nail them--their thickness just holds them in place. I cut them off (or break them) to allow enough space for the hive to function without being overwhelmed by uninvited guests.
    So what if the bees enter from the side and not the center.
    After taking of the summer honey, 2-3 inches is adequate. (Another item I get there is wood shavings that are just great for my smoker) ;)
    I've learned over the years to do my scavenging when my wife isn't with me.

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

efmesch...you and my hubby would get along fabulously! For 20 years I have seen that man of mine find some of the most amazing things ...in other people's garbage. I don't look down on that, but I do wish he was as good at organizing the stuff as he is at finding it :D

Hobie...me and WBB have a few skirts that get raveled and worn but somehow that just seems to make them more comfy. A girl can never be sure when the right time to toss a garment is!

tec....my hubby saw the pick and said "told you they could be used for something!" He just loves it when someone else proves his point! :lol: