Jerold and Debbie's cut out 5-11-11

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, May 11, 2011.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well Crackerbee and G3 did a cut out this afternoon (we were originally only going to meet up for breakfast), took us 1 1/2 hours to drive to the house. It was an older house that had an addition build onto the side of it and the bees had gotten inside through a crack in the siding, right in the corner of the house. After removing a piece of siding it was obvious that they had built in an old window opening that had been sheet rocked over. It was very difficult working through the little crack and the comb was new and tender but top heavy with honey. Jerold the home owner was a champ at helping us out by providing a small diameter extension for the bee vac hose and some paint sticks to use as "chop sticks" to fish the comb pieces out. I took about a dozen hits and Crackerbee took several himself. Cracker you sure are a real trooper to have been your first cut out and only had bees since this year. Hope this ol' redneck showed you a thing or two, we even went and checked on a trap out but ran out of time to go after a bee tree.

[attachment=11:31mlee4t]100_0713.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]

[attachment=10:31mlee4t]100_0715.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]

[attachment=9:31mlee4t]100_0720.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]

[attachment=8:31mlee4t]100_0720.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]
    A little crowd control.

[attachment=7:31mlee4t]100_0725.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]
    Now we can see a little comb.

[attachment=6:31mlee4t]100_0727.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]
    Trying to fish the comb out through the small crack with paint sticks.

[attachment=5:31mlee4t]100_0729.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]
    Have you ever seen a bee vac with a scope on it :lol: actually it was a flash light, worked like a charm, is that redneck enough for yuns!!

[attachment=4:31mlee4t]003.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]
    Here is Crackerbee, not sure if he is having fun yet or not.

[attachment=3:31mlee4t]005.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]
    Crackerbee is after them!

[attachment=2:31mlee4t]100_0730.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]
    Crackerbee took one to the left eye for the team, was a real trooper about it, not even a dirty word was heard :lol:

[attachment=1:31mlee4t]100_0731.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]
    A dab of bee-go on a piece of burlap stuffed way back in the back go things moving again.

[attachment=0:31mlee4t]100_0734.JPG[/attachment:31mlee4t]
    All finished with the cut out, got a pretty good amount of bees, not sure if the queen is in there or not, will check in a couple of days for her.

Brought them home and got them set up in the ten frame box and stuck in their two little combs of eggs. This was a swarm that had moved in on Friday so there was nothing but a few eggs that we found, just enough to anchor them, I hope.

I had a great time and met a new friend from the forum, thanks for the fun day Crackerbee.

Attached Files:

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Great pics, What a way to test a new friend :D. Do you think he is a keeper?Guess either one of you or both can answer these questions :hi: Jim

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Whadda you think, Jim? Put a cracker and a redneck together and it had to be a fun day...

Good job, guys.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Too much, wish I coulda been there. Well done! :mrgreen:

5. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I appreciate all these pictures. Just like show and tell, only better. Thanks.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Checked this hive today and sad to say we did not get the queen, saw five queen cells on one frame so I closed them back up.

The home owner was told we could only get what bees we could see, and did not want to cut into the sheet rock wall.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The home owner will be calling for you to remove the sheetrock shortly. ;)

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

He called two days later and said we did not get all of the bees out. I explained to him why and told him I would come back free of charge to remove the sheet rock and do the job properly, but he wanted no part of that and was going to handle it himself. I am sure a can of bug spray would have been involved. Oh well I tried my best.