Jerry Hayes - Beeologics Team Leader

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Marbees, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Marbees

Marbees Member

According to ABJ April's edition Monsanto, after acquiring Beeologics last year, recently hired Mr. Hayes to lead their team in research and development of tools to prevent CCD. Hope it's a good news.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Here's hoping for the best.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Here's the reply I posted about this on another forum.

"Jerry advocated killing every swarm that left a hive in Florida. Maybe that wasn't enough. Maybe he thought he would get to kill even more bees working for Monsanto."

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I just hope he can't find Texas. One can always hope.

5. rast

rast New Member

Iddee-"Here's the reply I posted about this on another forum.

"Jerry advocated killing every swarm that left a hive in Florida. Maybe that wasn't enough. Maybe he thought he would get to kill even more bees working for Monsanto."

:thumbsup:

6. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Seeing "Monsanto" and "bee" in the same sentence just chills me to the bone.

7. Marbees

Marbees Member

Didn`t know about it:sad: Fear of swarms being africanized, seems too radical:???:

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I myself do not see much wrong with Mr Hayes approach. The reality of Florida is not the reality of the rest of the country... this is not meant in a negative or positive way but simply suggest that remedies or sound bites that might work in some places will not work in other places. As far as I can tell Florida's 'Best Practices' is well thought out and once understood perhaps might shed some additional light on Mr Hayes comment.

Once other here are faced with the reality of dealing with africanized bees and the negative social context of the 'first contact'... perhaps they may rethink their own UNWORKABLE solution?

9. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I got into a hot discussion with Mr Hayes while he was still in Florida about this. He wanted every swarm and "feral" hive south of I-4 destroyed.
    When I asked him why I could not re-queen these hives and swarms to settle them down(if they were AHB), he replied that was not a good idea???
    Every swarm and "feral" hive that I have, have been south of I-4 and every one of them has been European honeybees. That is a total of 10 swarms or hives since last Labor Day.
    Robert

10. Marbees

Marbees Member

Thanks Robert, that`s what I was thinking. I do not have Florida beekeeping experience, but I`m reading all the time about you guys catching all those swarms, doing cutouts, and so far, never heard complain about bees being africanized or impossible to requeen. Radical approach could be a good thing in some situation but not always, and certainly not as a rule.
    Generalization of any kind is never a good thing.