Joe's bee tree swarmed 4-17-11

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Apr 17, 2011.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The bee tree we got last year from the city of Oak Ridge and I gave to Joe swarmed today. He called and was so excited but did not know what to do. I told him last year I wanted the first swarm off of it and he was as good as his word to call me (I let him keep the swarm also since he was so excited). When I got there, there were five small swarm clusters in the same tree about 15 to 20 feet up. His brother wanted to cut the tree limb down but I talked them into using a bucket on a pole. Joe said he did not have a pole that long but came up with the idea of screwing a couple of 10 foot 1 x 3 together and then we duct taped a five gallon bucket to the end of it. First cluster was the smallest and Joe's brother spotted the queen right off, then she flew off into the sky (I think she went back into one of the other clusters). Another stab at a cluster and we dumped them in and Joe found the queen in short order. All said and done they settled in and should make him another good hive.

[attachment=1:1bp43nvb]001.JPG[/attachment:1bp43nvb]

[attachment=0:1bp43nvb]002.JPG[/attachment:1bp43nvb]

Sorry I didn't get too many pics.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think you should have found the other queens and got yourself and Joe a hive. The last two swarms I have gotten have had multiple queens.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Only one queen in the whole mess of little clusters, we looked in each one of them. There started out as five and then started combining into a bigger one, I think the little twigs just could not hold them and they kept falling.