joplin missouri tornado

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, May 22, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

we have a few forum members in the joplin missouri area. Lets hope and pray they are alright after this devistating tornado. It took out 2 fire stations and the hospital. They are asking for anyone in the medical profession to come to there aid .My cousins a nurse that lives 130 miles away has been sent by her employer to help. Please send prayers there way

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

done last night!

Hope everyone was safe!!

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

please do keep us updated RiverRat. most time information coming out of areas affected in this manner can get real thin and often time either over or under played.

thanks for keeping us posted.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Done. Hoping for the best in a bad situation.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Done here as well,those poor folks in the mid west and southern states have taken such a beating this year.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

so far the reporters are saying 89 dead interstate still closed down one of the biggest truck stops on interstate a flying j was demolished. I havent heard from my cousin down that way working. Probly wont for awhile has she has more important things to do. They do have a temp hospital set up. some of you may have met superstkr on one of the other bee forums he lives just about 3 miles south of the truckstop. There are a few in missouri in the ozarks region that may be able to give more information. they are saying right now it is the 9th deadliest tornado in history and may climb as they find more victims

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, after our grandaughters phone call we turned on the tv and seen that the storm tracked to the sw of us (Branson area). We had high winds and light rain with alot of lightning, i tried to get back on line when things calmed down, but lightning ran through our phone line and knocked out our surge protector.(second time this year) Got things working again here. Joplin is 70 miles west of us and people in our area are finding things in our yards and fields from Joplin :confused: . The people in Joplin are going to need our help and prayers, and they have more storms moving in as i type this. Jack

9. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Glad your safe Jack(and you too Rat!) thats mighty close. I read they where finding med records and e rays in Springfield 60-70 miles away!!! amazing the strength of the storm. More is on the way too! Our church is getting up a care package to head that way soon. Keep an eye out for the next one Jack!!!!
    Amelia said we had softball size hail near us on Friday ouch!!!!

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

there finding debri in st louis which is clear across the state the death toll is at 116 and climbing they are finally sending some of the medical people home my cousin just headed for home after working nearly 24hrs. They are transporting some of the injured as far away as wichita kansas which i 200 miles away. They are reporting people are in need of everything toiletries clothes shoes anything that can be used there is not a house left standing in the path they rated the storm an E4 If Im correct i believe E5 is the top of the scale. The danger in the joplin tornado was the tornado was moving directly east instead of north east like most tornadoes. We have heard reports of warnings not being sounded not sure if true or not but was reported on the weather channel. Now we are starting to get hit with a storm its lightening and thundering now figured the way the humidity was it was going to happen today.

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

They are getting heavy rain and hail this afternoon and the weatherman says another storm is building that could follow the same path tomorrow. Let's pray it dosen't. Jack

12. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Reports coming out of Joplin last night said that they had to close down one of the major highways because of people just driving in to gawk. The roads are clogged with folks just wanting to see the damage for themselves! Wow! Don't people understand or learn any thing from the Greensburg, KS tornado?
    Several babies were born in the aftermath, too.
    It's pretty tough when the only hospital in town is hit by the tornado. It's a good incentive to put together an emergency kit like the government suggests. http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When checking my cows this morning i found two post cards in the field with a Joplin post mark but no return address, one had a date 1946, had to be someones keep sake, how sad. I would have liked to have volunteered to help in the search and rescue,worked in public service most of my life (Law enforcement and Firefighter) but decided a 73 year old man with bad knees wouldn't be much help stumbling around. Haven't heard of them calling in any retiree's, but Springfild did send several firefighters and equipment to help. :thumbsup: Makes you feel a little worthless in times like this. :( Jack

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Jack wouldnt it be great if you could be able to find the person the post card belonged to. when the andover tornado hit years ago her in kansas there was a guy who had lost everything they found a canceled check clear up in the state of iowa the person that found it returned it. Bet he still has that today

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"a 73 year old man with bad knees wouldn't be much help stumbling around"
    "Makes you feel a little worthless in times like this. :( Jack"

Quite the contrary Jack, it's reading posts like yours that give the rest of us a bit of hope and a renewed faith in humanity. The fact that you even thought about going and helping tells me more about your "worth" than you may care to believe! ;)

16. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I stood in my drive way tonight and watched a tornado trying to form in the clouds above we had rotation it just hadnt dropped. I am hearing reports that el reno oklahoma has been hit and there is fatalities in that area they had 3 reported tornadoes touch down in kansas with some light damage they have also raised the storm in joplin to an e5 tornado the highest the scale goes