July 17 Trapout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Barry Tolson, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Started another trapout project today. 80 degrees when I started...90 degrees when I went home. The girls were irritable and I took 2 stings. Had to wear a veil on this one.
    It went well enough, though I was soaked with sweat by the time I was done. This one is up between the 1st and 2nd floor of a house.
    Good folks. They will be able to effectively communicate how things are going, so I won't have to be driving the 10 miles each way every day...after the first few days.
    Still amazed how the chaos reduces noticeably when I install the frame with eggs. In this catch box I placed a frame with brood and a capped queen cell. Should be ok...just quicker at getting established.
    I tried to match the paint on the cone and shelf I made...didn't want the bare lumber to stand out and draw attention. Didn't match the paint, but the homeowner was still happy with it.
    Before I left, I noticed several bee's fanning at the entrance of the catch box. I don't recall seeing that on my project of June 12th. Again, though, it seemed that bee's were coming and going from the catch box before I left.
    Here are the pictures: http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h39 ... ?start=all

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Very nice. I wish I could get all my porches that close to the cone.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks good!! I did a trap out a while back with a queen cell and it worked great, matter of fact she was chewing the cap off of the cell when I installed it.

4. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

It just amazes me. The frame with brood/eggs/queen cell was placed in the catch box...and I was able to see the bees organize and start walking in to the catch box at the spot where the new frame was placed..within seconds.
    The other interesting thing about this one...fanning started at that moment, as well. And there were bee's standing at the opening fanning...with sacs full of pollen still on their legs.
    It is like they instantly recognize the situation and start sending out the homing pheromone.
    I'm looking forward to tomorrows inspection after work. This is the coolest hobby I have ever had! It never gets boring!

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

how long have you been keeping bees Barry?

6. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

G3,
    I started in 1984.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

you are right it never gets boring!

8. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

24 Hour update:
    Temperatures in the 90's and unrest in the atmosphere. The bee's were cranky and there was some stingin' goin' on. Even followed me to my truck on the opposite side of the house and stung me there. Then there was still one circling the truck after I got in and shut the door.
    On the bright side...no sign of unauthorized access back into the house and there were about 3 frames full of bee's in the catch box...a big cloud of confused returning bee's...and a steady stream of bee's making their way out of the cone.(and a constant 2 or 3 bee's expressing their sincere desire to sting me)
    I advised the homeowners to stay out of the area during this next several days of forecasted hot weather.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I just hope, without water going in, they can keep the hive cool. I've never known one to overheat, but I've never done a trap in 90 plus heat, either.

10. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

That was a thought I had yesterday, as well. This trapout is situated in an area protected from the sun, to a good extent, by the house and surrounding trees. I believe this colony is likely in the ceiling of the 1st floor of an air conditioned room...hopefully any stress from the heat will be minimal.

11. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

48 Hour update:
    Still hot here today, but the bee's were not nearly so irritable as they were yesterday. There was less chaos and more order. Much coming and going from the catch box with only 3-4 bee's observed exiting the cone in the half hour or so that I watched. They were still a little defensive, but I did not put up my ladder for a closer looked, which may have "inspired" them yesterday. I could see that the returning bee's were spending much less time at the base of the cone before going into the catch box. There was an average of 3 to 4 bee's at any one time returning to the old entrance location..they quickly abandoned those efforts and went to the catch box.
    2 days into this project and things are looking good, in my opinion.

12. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

1 week and 2 day update:
    Thunderstorms were starting to rumble just as I got to the trapout the other day, so I went back today for a good observation.
    No bee's were seen in or exiting the cone today. No bee's seen returning to the house. Opened the catch box and it was about 2/3 full of bee's with lots of bee's coming and going. This coming Sunday I will take a closer look to see if the queen cell I gave them at the beginning hatched and got mated.
    The homeowners have a large pond which they made available to me for swimming, as part of my compensation.(along with 2 bottles of Scotch!) So...it being 90 degrees, I went for a swim after checking the bee's. First time in about 20 years, best I can remember. Didn't forget how! I'll collect the Scotch when the project is finished.
    I love this hobby!

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

Scotch for doing work

NOW WE ARE TALKING :drinks: :thumbsup:

14. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Agreed! Glenfiddich, 15 yr. Solera Reserve. Never knew I'd be able to combine beekeeping and drinking!

15. Zulu

Zulu Member

Wow Barry that is real nice too, delicious sherry background that carries honey and vanilla tones to the finish.

Mmmmmm, know what i will have tonight!

16. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

It "does" have honey overtones! (which makes it a perfect beekeeper's Scotch!) Now I'm wishing I didn't have 6 or so weeks left in this project!

17. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

3 week update:
    Did not see any bee's exiting the cone while I was there, but saw some confused bee's coming back and dwelling on the cone. I'm assuming they are recently hatched. Just now 21 days since applying the cone, so I'm expect there are still bee's in the house.
    Checked for brood in the catch box, but didn't see any. Not worried, as I didn't expect to see eggs/brood till this coming Wednesday or Thursday.
    The girls are definitely bringing in pollen, though. A good sign.
    The catch box was just shy of being half full of bee's.
    Also...about 4 frames of 2/3 capped honey...classic crescent shape with pollen beneath the capped honey. Going well!

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like it's going like clockwork. You should have eggs in the next 10 days. Keep us posted.

19. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

4 week update(+1 day!)
    No bee's observed exiting the cone. Good activity in the catch box. Observed open brood. Box about half full of bee's at 5:15 pm. Still about 4 frames with honey, but more is capped now. And another frame has 2/3 of the comb drawn since last time. So far, so good. About half done.
    I'll be glad when new bee's start hatching. This colony has been a little aggressive from the beginning.

20. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

5 week update:
    Everything looks good. No bee's exiting the cone and good activity from the catch box. Another 2 or 3 weeks and I'll remove the cone.
    I sold 4 one-pound jars and 1 Ross Round to this customers neighbor today. My customer had told the neighbor about the trap-out project...and went on to inform the neighbor of the benefits of local honey! This was a nice sale that looks like it could turn into some good repeat business.
    I didn't consider that doing trap-outs might increase my honey sales. :)