July 28th Hive Report and a Pic...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by DonMcJr, Jul 28, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well I went into my Hives a half hour ago...I was going to put 2 frames from my hive (the package I did this year) into the weak hive but when I opened the week hive they had some frames of brood and were starting to draw comb on the 2nd Deep so I just put the feeder on and hopefully they will rebound. The frames looked healthy now I think they were lacking water at their old home...

The other Hive I got from Farmal looked active from the outside so I decided not to disturb it...

Now the Hive I packaged this year that started it all... Holy Bees and Honey!!!! BOTH Medium Supers are FULL of Honey and I added a 3rd Medium Super! Bees everywhere! I was still gonna pull a frame of brood but I got to the top Deep and it had all honey in the frame I pulled out on the end and my back was hurting from lifting the mediums so I decided against lifting the top deep to get a frame of brood for the weak hive. Awesome for my 1st Hive in my 1st year!!!

Here's the only pic I took, I need to get the wife a Beesuit so she can take pics!

From Left to Right... Weak Hive From Farmall, My Package and the Stronger Hive from Farmall...

[​IMG]

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is why I like the shallows myself!!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

My back got sore just lookin at the weights on top of your hives! :lol:

4. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Them are nothing compared to the Supers...for real!

5. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I forgot to mention something interesting...

In the top deep of the "Weak Hive" none of the frames were drawn when I moved the Hives here last Friday...

Two of the frames were drawn a bit and one of them had a Queen Cell! So either there is no Queen or she isn't doing a good job...

Most of the bees in the hive were Foragers/workers... only a few drones...

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Wouldn't hurt to give the weak hive a frame of eggs just in case they are queenless...the queen may have been injured during the move. Giving them a frame of eggs will insure that they have the material from which to make a new queen...just a little added insurance. :)

I'm envious of your giant honey skyscraper! :Dancing:

7. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Yeah but I gotta lift 2 FULL Medium Supers and a Full Deep to get to that frame.. Maybe I'll check the hive I didn't inspect and see if there's enough bees to borrow a frame from there... Only one Medium Super and 1 Deep to lift!

I'm estatic about the hive I packaged...it's full of bees and honey and a 3rd super is getting drawn and filled in it's 1st year!!!:guitarplayer:

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

Yep, that was a good package, congrats :)