Just caught first bees now what

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Thenewgoat, May 14, 2018.

1. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat New Member

Hello so I was on her asking questions a couple of weeks ago and took some of the advise so now I have built something very close to the langstroth hive my frames did not fit just right they are about a half inch from reaching side to side but i will fix this soon. Now I posted an ad after I built five of these three medium boxes each. Not even 3 days later I get a call to remove a swarm and so I got my box and headed out it was very small only about the size of a small cantaloupe I clipped the twig it was on put a few drops of honey on the entrance to try and attract the lose bees and waited about an hour. I then moved them home and set them in the yard but when i pulled them out of the car I had a sheet on them and a lot come out of the hive maybe 50 I put it down but they are all stuck to the roof I have 5 frames with foundation in this hive what now do I need to close it up or leave it open how do i feed them or do i feed them any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat New Member

OMG I have had my bees for about an hour and have someone else wanting me to get more but this is a cut out.

3. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

I have 5 frames with foundation in this hive what now do I need to close it up or leave it open how do i feed them or do i feed them any suggestions are appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Swarm bees love to draw comb so foundation is fine especially since you haven't got any drawn comb!

I would keep them in the shade and the entrance closed for a day or two. Do you have screened bottom boards or solid? Some screen stuffed in the entrance would be safer than duct tape if you have solid bottoms.

What do you have to feed in? The typical entrance feeder is not recommended and won't work while you have them closed up anyway. Mine have holes bored in the top that fits a mason jar size lid. Punch 10-12 holes in lid with a small nail, screw lid on mason jar full of 1:1 sugar syrup and invert it, seating the lid into the hole. The bees will propolize it if you let it run out but they will leave it alone as long as you keep it filled.

There are other better types of internal feeders that you will have to open the hive to put in and refill but the mason jar works pretty well for temporary feeding.

Gypsi likes this.
  4. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat New Member

So I just read your comment I did not close them up they all seem pretty happy in the box they did not leave I went back and got the strays and just shook them off in front of the hive and they buzzed for a min then went straight in. I put some honey out in a lid right in front of the entrance and they went to it and back in till they took it all. The lady said they had just come in a landed at her home about an hour before I got there and that they had been flying everywhere about 20 mins before I arrived. I will try and close them off in the morning but i do not want to do that till i have a feeder made. I have a cut out to do Friday and if all goes well I plan on putting a frame of brood in with these and a frame of honey if they do not have one yet as this is a very small swarm in the end they all fit in my hands so maybe a pound of bees. How do I help a small hive like this.

5. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

Treat for Varroa mites before they have brood. Feed if flowers are scarce. Control the size of hive they are in so pests do not have so much unpatrolled area to range over. That being said, in the spring i doubt you can go wrong!

6. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat New Member

I have a yard full on flowers as does my aunt who lives next door I mean just hundreds of flowering bushes, clovers, lily, roses. I just dont want them to take off on me I know I have only had them for about 18 hours but they have not started building comb yet from what i can tell they are all just sticking to the top of the lid is this normal

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

They need syrup to build comb and I would close the entrance down pretty small, did you have screened or solid bottom boards? If you have any comb, the queen needs a place to lay, and in a hurry, if they are not building comb I would definitely reduce the entrance size and get a feed jar of sugar water so they have what it takes to make comb.Right now they have not committed to stay, it sounds like.

A couple of yards worth of flowers are good, 10 acres of wildflowers nearby are better. I live in the middle of old pasture, grass. does not feed bees. so I have to move my hives to outyards or feed sugar water all summer.

Thenewgoat likes this.
  8. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat New Member

I checked in the hive and they have not started building comb and they have been there for 24 hours I will close down the entrance and make some sugar water i do not have a mason jar with lid what else could i use.

9. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat New Member

10. Gypsi

is the hive in shade? and use screen to make the entrance small or they will die of heat. I use screened bottom boards for ventilation but I am in Texas and it's hot

11. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat New Member

lots of comb today yay doing good

12. Gypsi