Just contacted a local bee keeper

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ducks®™, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Ducks®™

Ducks®™ New Member

Wow is what I have to say in the aftermath,,, Keep this in mind most and foremost,,, I know notta about taking care of bees and will be the first to say it... dont make me all bad does it?
    This ole feller is going to hook me up with many things,, one I wish to note is I can drive to get a 3 pound with a queen much less about a 1/3 than ordering them.
    Something that rocked my world was he eradicates bees for a price of 300 bucks, and kills them after,,, take note,,, after he takes the money,,, honey.... then just sprays killer so they dont come back,,, killing all that is there.... Staggers me man.
    I wish ,,,, now I am not PETA,, but I wish to help and preserve bees,, and I doing this in a backwards direction?
    He also told me a bees life is about 30 days.. "heavy sigh" I have alot to learn.
    All I want to do is "DO RIGHT" I am not panning for gold,,, nor am I looking to make a living doing such.. I feel there is a need for honey bees in my area.. the rest is a bonus ....Trust me.. I had rather give than to receive,,, its my will.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

This forum's a good place to learn about bees, and the folks here are quite well versed in beekeeping. One thing you might want to do is pick up a copy of Beekeeping for Dummies. I have it along with several others, and I think it does the best job of presenting first time information in an easy to understand manner.

Walt

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Please don't get discouraged, some people are just...well...either not correctly educated, or blinded by dollar signs. In the state of NC it is illegal to kill a colony of honey bees. In any state it is simply stupid. I would suggest finding a different mentor, a local beekeeping club, and some good books, if you can.
    I am not associated with PETA either. Neither are the bees. So, I think most of us are on the same page. :D
    Your going in the right direction, promoting the honey bees is a good thing. You're right, there is alot to learn, and you have begun learning already. You just saw a good example of what not to do.

p.s.The average life span of a honey bee is 6 weeks, or 42 days. That is if it dies naturally.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The six week lifespan is only true in the best of honeyflows. In leaner times, they live longer. During a Canadian winter, they can live 6 months or longer.

Your bee exterminator friend is not a beekeeper. Find you another friend, one that actually keeps bees.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds as if the 'beekeeker' you have contact with has a bit of hustle in progress?

perhaps he now has the opportunity to sell you a few bees 'at a very reasonable price' hoping you don't know the difference between good stock and bad stock?

in my younger days I killed a lot of bees... but in the migratory world that was how things were done at one time. reducing numbers back to some manageable over wintering number was just part of the job. now I raise bees for folks. perhaps this is just the scales of karma balancing themselves out?

ps.. the lifespan of a bee is more accurately defined by how many miles it flies than by how long it lives. there is a bit of bee biology that defines the maximum life of the bee. If my memory is correct the appropriated number for the life of a honey bee is about 800 miles.

6. Ducks®™

Ducks®™ New Member

Great info thanks for your wonderful input!