Just got my bees today; is this a bad sign?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by knuckledragger, Jun 15, 2011.

1. knuckledragger

knuckledragger New Member

I got my first 2 hives of bees today, and the man who brought them to me said that they were "splits" (apparently meaning that he split one hive into 2). He mentioned that one of them was really heavy, as well.

It is now dusk and the front of the heavy one is covered with bees, but the other one is not. Is that a sign that the heavy one is about to swarm?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No. It is likely that they are full and need a box added. Go into them tomorrow and see if they have room to store incoming nectar and empty area to lay eggs. If not, add a box to them.

3. knuckledragger

knuckledragger New Member

The man who brought the bees said that I would need to add another box, but he advised that I wait about 5 days and let them calm down some. He said that they are feral bees, so they are a little more agressive than Italian bees. Should I just go on and try to put another box on tomorrow?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you have protective clothing, yes. If not, you may want to get some. They may be a bit more on guard just after a move.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a knuckledragger snip..
    It is now dusk and the front of the heavy one is covered with bees, but the other one is not. Is that a sign that the heavy one is about to swarm?

tecumseh:
    I would guess it is also hot and possible humid? Just casually this suggest a large population and thereby plenty of hands to defend the homestead.

the terminology used in bee keeping is often times pretty loosely used. people can say splits and nucs and be referring to the same task. what would matter (imho) is the age of the queen(s) in the box. if he did do a literal split then one side of the split has the old queen and likely a good deal of the field force. the other part of the split may well be bee and resource limited.