Just when I thought I was cured of the SHB....

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gator_56, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

I had an out break of SHB larvae back the end of May, I cleaned all that up and moved the hive into full sun and I had not seen a SHB in my last few inspections..... until this past weekend! I saw 4 when I did my inspection this past Saturday, I killed those and then this evening I was standing watching the girls come and go when one of the little &*$&!@#% flew up, lit one the side just above the entrance and scurried inside! I had no clue they could fly!!! I'm hoping that the hive being in full sun will kill the eggs but what else can I do? I have 3 traps in the hive but they have been empty since I moved the hive into the sun.

These things are frustrating :frustrated:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What about putting something on the ground around your hives to prevent them from breeding there (at least I think that is what they do outside the hive). We don't have them up here (yet) and I guess we will have to start reading up on them.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I have a few in every hive its part of life of the florida beekeeper, when I do a inspection sometimes i see 1 in a bottom corner with 3 or 4 bees trying to get at it, they look like 4 dogs after the last scrap of meat, thats how aggressive some of my hives are towards them but even those hives have a few, its a matter of hive strength, weak hives with too much space to protect can fall prey, you have to make sure you dont add supers too soon, it can be alot worse then adding 1 too late. my last inspection I found 9 of them in jail at the top of my lid in 1 of my 4 box high hives and thats in full sun from sun up to about 4pm.

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

SHB larvae drop out of the hive and burrow into the ground to pupate. Spraying the ground around your hives with salt water kills them and interrupts their life cycle.

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

Will they die if they fall out on black poly and cannot get to the ground, I would think so. Not only do I keep the weeds from growing under the hives I am accomplishing another end too.

kebee

6. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

Would putting the hive on a concrete slab help?

7. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

We have had small hive beetle larva crawl 150 feet in the lab. That is a lot of salt, plastic, concrete or asphalt.
    I am guessing you do not have an entrance reducer on.

8. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

WOW! 150 feet, I didn't even think they would go that far. A lot of folks advocate using diatomaceous earth around the base of the hives. The particles have sharp edges and the larvae get cut up as they burrow down through it.

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have read that you can use diatomaceous earth around the hive and that kills the larva (and ants, too). But it must be reapplied after it rains. I bought some at Tractor Supply Store, but I haven't seen any SHB yet.

I ordered some traps that should be here in the next day or two . I figure there might be some in there but I'm just not seeing them. I think they'll be easier to see if they're in the trap.

10. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

I have 3 beetle barns in my hive and I catch 1 or 2 along and along. Since I had the big break out and got that cleaned up and moved the hive to full sun I really haven't had anymore.

AB, I am using an ER but it may be too large of an opening still, it closes about 5/8 of the entrance. Should I close it more?

11. ApisBees

ApisBees New Member

They have been confirmed in Ontario and were found in northern Alberta. they are on their way. some neighbor will be ordering bees from Ontario or moving to Nova Scotia and bringing his hives with him. Just one more pest to deal with.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    We have had small hive beetle larva crawl 150 feet in the lab.

tecumseh:
    I read and interpret this as written. A lab does not necessarily fully represent conditions outside a lab.

As far as I can tell here there are generally spikes in the population and problems associated with small hive beetles that follow rainfall that throughly wets the ground. Almost any level of heat and sunshine exposure quickly kills the larvae stage. Once you have enough larvae to notice them coming out of a hive freezing contaminated comb is essential to get ahead of the infestation.

mature hives with obvious small hive beetle problem most typically have some space (typically at the very bottom of the stack) that is 1) has some pollen but no brood or nectar and 2) is not protected by adult bees.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Mama Beek, (haven't heard from her in a while) said they were throwing wood ashes under their hives to kill the larva (i'm guessing they have SBB's.) Wood ash contains lye (grandma made lye soap from it) i would think that would do the job. Jack

14. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'm back now :) We had good results with the ashes, and also with lime and DE. The ashes seemed to work best...but that could be because it was so frequent where the other things tended to be hit or miss (kinda like my attendance here this year)

We had been told those nasty little critters didn't live here in MO...that was so not true. This will be a winter full of ashes being tossed under bee hives :)

15. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHsOl9C3Jis

This guy seems to know his bees. It was a great hour and a half.

I actually met and spent about an hour with this guy (Jerry Freeman)yesterday. He said these traps have been independently studied and they work, sun or shade. We are doing a ittle test here of our own. We set up 2 hives side by side above concrete in full sun. They are both the same age. One has this freeman beetle trap and the other has the same bottom board without the plastic tray. Last Sunday we opened both the the one with tray had no beetles and the on without the tray had beetles. I am currenlty making a version of this bottom board but still have to buy the trays from him.

But this may give you some ideas of your own. Do some research on "Freeman Beetle traps". I bought 7 trays from him yesterday to go in my bottom baords.

http://freemanbeetletrap.com/menu_page/about_the_trap

Build it yourself plans.
    http://freemanbeetletrap.com/build_it_yourself