Just when you think you've seen it all...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Remember those dead-outs I had over the winter? I had put the hive boxes in my garage for the rest of the winter so I'd have them ready for swarms and splits and whatnot... so last week I hauled them all up to my outyard just in case I needed to do a bunch of splits, I didn't end up needing them then, so I hauled them back home but had left them in the back of the truck, naturally robbers found them and started cleaning up the honey in them so there were lots of bees flying around the truck for the past few days. Today I go to unload the truck because I need it to move some bees for pollination, and as I'm doing that, most boxes are fairly empty by now, except one. That one is full of bees and still has lots of honey in it, and by full of bees I mean they were packed between the frames. As I'm watching the bees I notice that they aren't acting like robbers or forragers, they're acting like a new hive, and by that I mean some bees are fanning and others just sitting there while others are just walking around. I pull a couple of frames, and it looks like I had pulled a frame from a normal hive and notice that the bees had repaired some of the comb with brand new wax. I looked for a queen but didn't find one, no eggs either; however, it was about 2 in the afternoon and it's possible there could have been a virgin that I couldn't spot or maybe she was out on a mating flight. So near as I can tell, a swarm moved in while these boxes (no lids, no bottom boards, rain for about an hour every day for the past few days) were in the back of my truck. Oh yeah, and the bed of my truck ends up pooling water in it when it rains, so the bottoms of the frames were sitting in the water the whole time. Is that not incredibly bizarre? I went ahead and put them on a bottom board and put a cover on them and moved them out of the truck so we'll see what they'll do from here. It's after dusk now and they're still in there and making a humming noise like a new swarm does.

I suppose it's theoretically possible for them to have made it easier on me, but they'd have had to figure out how to ring the doorbell and tell me they were moving in for it to have been easier.

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

:thumbsup: You just can't beat that!

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nice easy boost of numbers :grin:. It is the karma if you believe in that!!:lol:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I heard the same thing happened to one of my bee keeping associates here. This happened while he was at work. Which as it turned out was a banking gig... perhaps the girls were just trying to make a deposit???

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Dang bees always making it hard on the beek. They could at least have put a lid on so you wouldn't have to go and find one.... :mad: :lol:

6. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member