JZ BZ Cell Cups

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by rail, Nov 13, 2012.

1. rail

rail New Member

Has anyone used JZ BZ cell cups?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I haven't, but then I'm not even at the stage where I actively try and raise my own queens yet (other than "controlled" swarming) :lol:

3. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

They work great, no need to prime them with anything. I like the amber color, you can see how much royal jelly they've put in. Make sure you buy some of the plastic cell holders bars too.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

He reinvented the way we raise, cage, store, and ship queens. he provides the hole line; cell cups, cell protector, Queen cages, shipping cartons, storage bars. his system has been tried, tested, and is used by thousands of beekeepers around the world. He has been making for a long time I first heard of them in 1989. by this time he had already developed the hole line of queen rearing products. Buy with confidence.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am still old school when it comes to queen cell cups but certainly all the 'really' commercial ventures I know who either produce queens or cells in large number ALL use the plastic cell cups.

6. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I've had good results with them, and as said by an earlier poster, I don't prime them either. I've only used the pin-based cups.

You don't need to get the plastic cell holder bars; most all of the bee manufacturers make frames w/ cell bars (usually wooden) that work with these cells. As far as I can tell, grooved bottom bars are identical to the cell bars for these cups (except in length), so you could probably rig up your own cell bar frames if you are so inclined.

If you use the JzBzs cups, it's recommended that you put them in the hive for "polishing" 24 hours before grafting. I don't know if this step is necessary with wax cups.

You can also re-use them if you really want to, but they are a bother to clean out, so it's hardly worth the trouble.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

interesting dmagnitude since I was informed that the plastic stuff did not need to be polished. this step is something that MUST be done with bees wax cups and I would GUESS most time 24 hours is not sufficient time to get this essential job done and done well. my experience suggest that unpolished bee wax queen cups will reduce your take on a graft to just about 0%.

8. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Interesting indeed. I think I probably got that 24-hr. number from Marla Spivak's queen rearing manual. I don't have it with me at the moment, so I'm afraid I can't double check.

I probably assumed somewhere along the line that the polishing step referred to plastic cell cups since they're more the "industry standard" these days. If I'm wrong (and I hope I am) and it's unnecessary, then I'll happily skip that step in the future.

Thanks,
    -Dan