Kare and Alley's old iron.

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by alleyyooper, Mar 12, 2010.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Started work on my model 22 standard yesterday (march 9th.). Kare and I bought it in Canada in 1989. Used my dads truck to pull the trailer when we went to pick it up. the bridge fare was for a 3/4 ton truck even though it was a ton job. Dad had owned the truck for 3 years and never relized it had 2500 on the drivers side and 3500 on the passanger side. He left it like that even though we never took it across that bridge again.

The top tractor is Kares 1988 Mothers day presant. The bottom one is the 22 standard. It is complete except for a couple missing bolts, a battery tray not ate thru and a bit of oil consumption above normal.
    Kares 20 on the other hand reaqlly needs a lot of tender care. All the side panals are missing, the engine is the wrong size for the model. Every time I look at it I think some one bought a frame and added parts to make a workable tractor. I've gathered about every thing for it though, although the correct engine is sezied but is soaking in diesel fuel so should free up when ready to tackle it.

[​IMG]

Yes Kare asked for that tractor as a gift. In fact she has 4 of her own.

:mrgreen: Al

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Here is an old H I have.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]'

[​IMG]

It was given to me by a fellow I used to work with. He was going thru a divorce and had to move. His wife ripped all the spark plug wires out of the mag and threw some of them away. I need to get a look at one to figure out where the wires go, or the fireing order on it. I really should get it running as it would make a much bigger snow plow tractor than the Pacer. I don't have a heated work shop so I tend to do much of the work on the tractors when it is warm out, but the bees take up a bunch of the spring and summer days when it isn't raining. There are some thing like 22 whole tractors, a couple part tractors and several old lawn and garden tractors parked here. The intention was they were to be retirement projects.
    Never gave a thought the economey was going to go to he77 in a hand cart.

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Went to the farm store yesterday for a sediment bowl gasket. they didn't have one the size I needed. Now I have to tell you I drove several miles to a different town as the farm store in our town caters to the horse yuppies and don't carry much of any thing else worth while. Most of the farmers in the area avoid the place with coments like it would really be a good place to open up a farm store.

Any way I went to a auto parts store near the farm store. Fellow at the counter asked what the dried up oval I had in my hand was. I told him so he turns around and starts down the asile, stops and says we won't have any thing like that. I can sell you some make a gasket mateiel. I told him to forget it. Drove back to our town walked into my favorite auto parts store (carquest) walk up to the counter and lay the dried up gasket down. Red says sediment bowl gasket. I think we are out but will go look. Comes back with the book says it will be here early morning of the 12th. So I am going in soon and get the gasket.

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Looks like loads of fun Al! If you've never been to yesterday's tractors you'll be amazed at the amount of info there. Napa alway's seemed to have the small parts I was looking for but for the bigger stuff I either used YT or a boneyard named Longs in PA. Here's the link to YT:

http://www.ytmag.com/farmall/wwwboard1.html

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Never cared for YT. The nearest NAPA store is 20 miles one way and they may be good at what they have I find most stuff at the local carquset auto parts stores. They even send out brake shoes for relineing for me and once even a clutch plate. I don't care for their paint though, It is PPG which I think fades to easy. I have the hardest time finding sheet metal in good condition. So far I have either found in in some ones back yard on a tore down tractor they gave up on of at Stamms near Grand Rapids.

:D Al

6. Charles

Charles New Member

I've had luck with carquest too :) Did you have a bad experience at YT?

7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Sort of like Bee Sore. full of know it alls who tell youi to buy and read books or do a search be for asking dumb questions. Dumb to them maybe not to the rest.

Been wondering how soon MB will find this forum? Left a horriable taste in my mouth many years ago I know that.

Any how got the parts I need for the sediment bowl so hopefully I can install it this week and manybe get it started. Been thinking I will have to remove the carb and rebuild it too.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I spoke with MB about this forum. He stated he was on too many now and didn't see a need for another one.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Al,do you take the Red Power or Antique Power Magazine? I take both and find alot of parts through them. There are alot of tractor graveyards in my area and i can usually find parts close by when i need them. :thumbsup: Jack

10. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Since I am mostly a massey man I took Wild Harvest for some time. Did the Antique Power for a while also, just didn't seem like I was getting from them what I would have liked. I supposed If I hadn't been working 12 - 16 hours a day 7 days a week I would have gotten more.

Any way the 22 has been placed on hold for a bit to allow the mud to dry up and me to help drain it.
    I went out to the junk pile and rounded up some semi truck wheels welded to Massey Pony rims. I was surprized to find them still holding air after I bet close to 15 years in the junk pile. I mounted them on the pacer so I can use the blade and they work with the tire chains for the little I need them till I can afford a pair of 12x24 tires. :lol: I need to get a picture of the crazy looking thing.

11. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Took the carb off the 22 yesterday, then broke it down. I am glad I did it as I don't think with the gum it would have worked to awful well and I would have had to do a cleaning any way.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I cleaned the carb. on the super C farmall that i keep in Collins, Mo. last month.It would start and die, start and die, when i took it apart it looked like clear jello in the bowl. :eek: The gas we buy is getting to be a problem/ :roll: Jack

13. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I'm told youneed to run stable if you are going to let a gas powered engine set for more than a week. I believe that.

:D Al

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have been using the gas stablizer for about a year now. Had my chainsaw worked on at our local small engins repair shop, he told me when i buy a 5 gal. can of gas to put stablizer in it and it would save alot of repairs on lawnmowers, chainsaws, weedeaters, ect. and so far he's been right. :thumbsup: Jack

15. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Have you priced a Marvin Sheblier carb rebuild kit lately? It is a couple of gaskets and a throttle plate rod. $25.00.

Dad You taught me a lot some I remember and can do well and some I just plain don't know where to start. But I remember making gaskets out of ceral box card board and will make the gaskets for the 22's carb.

Sorry I jst don't have a clue on how to splice the two ropes I have together again as you showed me. I'm buying the longer one I need.

16. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

That's one of my favorites!!! I learned how to do that when I was young and so did my sisters. I'm so glad I had a Daddy who didn't want me to be helpless!

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Dad had me working on everything there was to be had. Was rebuilding quadrajet carbs and cutting out the gaskets by hand. A file folder works great for that. The best gasket material for other stuff was the wax coated milk cartons.
    I think the biggest fear people have is just diving in for the first time and not having any tools. Can't mess things up too bad if it is already broke.

Good luck with it Al.

G3

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It boggles my mind when i have a tractor torn down and scattered all over the shop (motor and drivetrain) that someone figured out how to make all of this and make it work? They would probably roll over in their grave if they knew how many repairs i've made with cardboard,baleen wire and tape, to get buy until i could fix it right. :mrgreen: Jack

19. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

They would more than likely roll over to see how they are built today. I don't think the size thing would amaze them though.
    Took the carb out of the vinagar yesterday. Took a lot of rust off and a bunch of other crud. I'll start the carb cleaner soak today.