Keeping Records - A Hive Tracks tutorial

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

As promised, albeit a few days later (crazy week- plus more work than I thought)

Here is Hive Tracks:

First task is to create " My Yard" - obviously after creating an account

Add your info as you wish, if you want accurate Longitude and Latitude - Google Maps can help.
    You can opt out of the Shared Maps if you prefer

[​IMG]

Then you build your hive: Add in details of it first , dates , names etc Next step will actually build a representative of the hive, GPS or Google Maps can give you Long & Lat

[​IMG]

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Now a hive build , each part is in there.... pretty comprehensive, include a date if not done immediately.

[​IMG]

Now we add a queen, if trying to catch up old Hive Data my suggestion would be just use a date from last re-queening - even if generic last year date. I have asked developers to add in an open Queen data field too, as they don't have all Genetics

[​IMG]

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Next we have a History Sheet on all the data on the Hive (I am missing some date points on this hive as I put them into my book while rushed)

[​IMG]

Next Tab has a list of Inspections and gives a nice overall picture of the progression of the hive

[​IMG]

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Here is a listing of all hives in my (1) yard, which is the first screen you see when logging into your yard/s

[​IMG]

Then you get a break down of all the hives in that yard

[​IMG]

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

Now to an inspection ..... it takes me less than 2 min to fill this in now that I am used to it, in fact last inspection - today - I took my iPad out there and did it at the hive. iPad works ok in Portrait view.... dev team know it has issues....

5 Steps to an inspection - First Step , What we saw, and if immediate entry the current weather (Takes it over Internet from Weather.com)

[​IMG]

Step 2 Weather if we did not enter data immediately - pick a date and time and it will import from weather.com, or manually enter the weather info. I entered immediately so it filled in everything for me.. less than 0.5 sec :D

[​IMG]

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Step 3 Hive Conditions - self explanatory

[​IMG]

Step 4 Disease and any treatments - also pretty simple , but could do with a larger comment section (not tested how many characters it takes)

[​IMG]

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Step 5 Food and stores

NOTE at any time you can blow out and just press finish , entering no more than you wish to.

[​IMG]

Pressing Finish gets you to the list of Hives in that yard

[​IMG]

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

Next is reports

The system will allow you to create PDF reports - all built into the sw. It will also allow you to export data out into Excel, Word or PDF.
    Here is an inspection report - of all inspections on one hive - you choose parameters.

[​IMG]

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

Last area is Harvests

You have a tab and can create Harvest info. It allows to you capture how much you took, when and if you wish to break it down , by hive too.

[​IMG]

Under the Action button is a New Harvest Button and a 2 step process , first step details and qty plus description which is one of the few mandatory items, second step which hives the honey came from.

[​IMG]

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

In summary

I love how easy it is to create an inspection and how all the data is easily displayed

It does take some time to create the yards and basic hive info, but you would have done that anyway (hopefully ) when filling in your notebook.

I have not covered every single page..... but most of them.

The other great thing is that almost every step can be edited later , you can correct any mistake you made and update the files.

The help files are awesome , go to the tiny text top of page left of Center - that says " How do I ?" Also Facebook has good stuff as well.... plus people who offer tips etc.

[​IMG]

Items I would like to see:

1) an offline capture using iPad or Blackberry etc
    2) Comments section on some entry pages
    3) Reports fix to date and time (always Pacific time)

Hope this helps at least one of you :drinks:

Rick

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

My Maps is a super little fun representation of your yard based on data you gave , but more importantly , if you show "Range Rings" you can get an idea of how far your bees fly

There is a small bug in the sw, in that the rings are elongated N/S, but it opened my eyes on how far the bees fly.

12. maddox65742

maddox65742 New Member

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Do you have any suggestions for a short, compact one page report that can be filled out in the field and stored under the roof to be available on the spot from one visit to the next?

14. Zulu

Zulu Member

That is a great idea, I have actually asked the guys for an offline option, maybe this would be the way to go...

I will also give it some thought myself.

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

In the early days of computers and dot-matrix printers, I worked out one that I used for a few years but I've neglected it so long that I can't even find a left-over for reconstruction. The idea to re-develop it came to me when my grandson, who is starting off as a beekeeper, aked me about keeping records so he could remember details specific to each hive from visit to visit.
    If I can muster up the energy to sit down and think it out, maybe we, together with the help of the forum could work out something useable.

16. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

WOW!!!!!!
    This is an impressive package. Kind of overwhelming for me, I've only been a beekeeper for 3 months, but I'm absorbing all the information I can (a massive amount). I'm still at the 2 colony-legal pad recordkeeping stage. Thank you for posting it, I will utilize the parts I can, and expand as I learn more about beekeeping-and more about this program. Again, Thanks

17. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Baby Beek is intensely interested in using hive tracks....and it might work out well for her if we can save up to get her a laptop or ipad. It will still work fine without, I just hate to see her writing down notes and then spending the time later on to type them all out. (I still coddle my kids a little bit) After looking at the website and reading this thread I think Hive Tracks may just be the answer we need in a busy spring though...hmmm. Thanks for sharing Zulu!

18. maddox65742

maddox65742 New Member

I have been censored, and my post removed because I commented on some of the dangers of using this software. I thought this was an open group that encouraged discussion. I am extremely disappointed to learn that it is not. Apparently, some people get preferential status here.

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry you feel that way, Maddox. The forum tries to be fair, but sometimes it's more of a job then us rednecks are capable of handling. We felt like your post was too far fetched to be relevant. We felt like it compared to telling people not to take a country stroll on a cloudy afternoon because they may be struck by lightening. Although, to an extent, it may be true, it was so far from likely that it became irrelevant. I hope you can let it pass and continue to visit and post. We don't want to run anyone off, and we do the best we can. We aren't professional forum operators, but we try to be fair and keep an even balance.

20. kemptville

kemptville New Member

I use Hive Tracks on my Blackberry Playbook and it is awesome! Now with hivetracks.com/mobile, it makes it that much more easy to use in the field!