Keeping Records...Bee-tight

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Iddee, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I like the site but am afraid all the gadgetry is over my head. I am truly being honest when I say that I am lucky to be able to post here with out too many screw-ups. My soon to be 10 year old son is more computor savvy than me :oops:
    That said, for any upcoming younger keeps (or smarter older ones ;) ) I can certainly see where this could be taken advantage of. :thumbsup:

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Clicked on it. First sentence says it's a free web application for beekeepers. Provided my name and e-mail, then find out that it's free if you want to keep track of up to 6 hives. Anything more is $15.00 a year.
    A small sum, yes and this is a common marketing strategy, but it is still bait-and-switch. They won't be seeing my name pop up on their list again.
    Thanks for the info, though.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've made it 73yrs without it, i can probably go a few more. :drinks: Jack

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

From reading the comments. I'll assume this is something I have seen before. And my opinion is the same as I had previously. I would never submit internal information about my operation, my hives, or anything else. If I remember correctly, they keep the right to keep and use the information collected.

Let me know if I am wrong. But there is no real reason to click on some sites. Information collection programs, cookie counters, spam generators,.....whatever may be included, I can pass on.

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I hadn't even thought about it from that aspect, Bjorn. I'm still a first year beek, and am interested in different things, so I checked ot out. It ticks me off when someone offers something free, then wants you to pay for it.

7. Marbees

Marbees Member

:thumbsup:

No Bjorn, you are not wrong

8. Dbure

Dbure New Member

I have not checked the site out yet Iddee. Just having time to spend on the computer I am sure is a challenge for those who are busy with their keeping. Has anyone here developed their own method other than paper in hand? I'd be interested in a method that I could create on my own computer providing it is user friendly. You see, I am not that computer savvy either. :oops: I am apt to agree with Bjornbee. Anything which collects info from the user I treat with suspicion.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Unless you take a laptop or handheld into the field, which I am not going to do due to propilis, sweat, and the fact i would leave it somewhere, I end up writing everything down once I am done in each yard on a note pad.

To then go back home and input it into a program, would be for what? I would need to have those records again upon my next visit. So I would just end up printing stuff out to take with me.

But wait, I already had it in my notebook. :thumbsup:

I do queen rearing calendars and other sheets that I will print out and take with me. But I just find it just as easy to maintain my notebook, as compared to inputting everything into a computor program.

Take out the "cool" factor, or the sense that your doing something nobody else is, and I have not run across a program yet that works to any major benefit in beekeeping.

I start each year with a new 500 sheet binder. Each page is numbered. Each hive is numbered. One page (front and back) and I have a years worth of records with me at all times, for every hive I have.

10. Dbure

Dbure New Member

That sounds like me Bjornbee. The one thing I don't like about having eveything on a computer is that it can easily be lost forever. You know how NASA is warning that a major CME could knock out all the power grid? It would be my luck that it would actually happen and I'd be stuck trying to figure a way to look up something I stored in a computer. Technology is wonderful but can also be pretty unreliable and downright nerve racking. ;)

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

im still in the dark ages. I use a sharpie to keep the records on the top cover. Although I dont keep careful exact records. I keep bees as a hobby even though I have had up to 70 hives. I dont like adding things like paperwork and extra computer work to the hobby. Its them things Im getting away from when I get quality time with the bees :D

12. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Ohh Riverrat, that is an excellent point and I can see why you would keep it simple. It is the enjoyment of the keeping and working with them that can remove daily stress. When I am out there looking in and watching everything I forget about any other problems. If I see an issue with any of the hives I try and tend to it right away. It's not suppose to be a drudgery or why bother having them right? :D

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

I looked at it before I found Hivetracks

Looked nice but the limit on hives , was something I knew would be an issue many would have a problem with.

14. 2Tall

2Tall New Member

I like the program but I often carry my phone with me.Its pretty easy to scan the barcode on the hive and check off what I just did or saw with out making mistakes of forgetting to do it.I only have 30 hives or so maybe too much trouble for big operations.I have protective cover on the phone already not big problem there.
    I think its nice to look things up on my phone or computer when I want to check something.I guess its just a matter of how you like to keep track,worth the money for me.It lists the weather conditions and all things I like to track and possible comments.I cant loose it, can view from any place and works better than notebook for me.

15. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

I think it's well-designed and I used it for a season.

But I would rather keep and store my records on paper in my hands than on a computer or on an internet database.

It comes down to preference.

Adam

16. BuddhaBee

BuddhaBee New Member

I like the site. I remember last year looking at an online program called "HiveTracker." This seems pretty easy to use. Since I'll be working in an educational apiary, with groups of school students as well as adult newbie-keepers, this tool may be extremely helpful in taking care of our first three hives/colonies in spring of 2012.

17. Larus

Larus New Member

I keep inspection records on HiveTracks, but it looks like I may actually prefer the Bee Tight interface. I agree with BjornBee about paper records being easier to refer to out in the field when you work your hives. I think the QR coded tags might help to solve the problem - I can stick my iPhone in my jeans pocket, scan in the QR code and quickly scroll through my last inspection notes on the screen before I open the hive. HiveTracks also has the feature of printing out QR code tags for your hives, by the way.

The reason I like computerized records over paper records (besides being from the iPhone generation and coming from a family of computer programmers :) ) is that computerized databases are much easier to manage and analyze. When you want to tally something or figure out trends (what is the total harvest from all your yards for 2011? what is your average percentage of hives lost during the winter? Is one yard consistently outperforming another one in terms of honey harvest or hive survival rate over a certain time period? Which of your hives are in the top 20% for hygenic behavior?), it saves you a lot of headache and calculations by hand if all your records are already kept in a computer database.

18. Tia

Tia New Member

Since I have the annoying habit of talking to myself, I take a voice activated recorder to the beeyard with me and when I get back to the house transcribe it into my log. I just can't seem to be bothered with writing things down while I'm in the beeyard and when I don't, I have no idea when I get back to the house whether it was hive 2 or hive 3 that needed drawn comb in box 2. So talking to myself comes in handy. I have none of those fancy gadgets that I could carry with me to work the hives, so this works best for me.

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

First, if I ever recorded some of the stuff I said out in the beeyard, I would have to transcribe it all in the pickup truck cause I sure wouldn't want to try doing it at home! :shock:

Second, I have always found talking to myself handy. I have always placed an extreme value on a solid second opinion. :lol:

20. Marbees

Marbees Member

One of reasons I like talking to myself is that we agree with each other. :lol:
    Not always, but I never said he was perfect. :confused: :lol: :lol: