Kelleys?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tecumseh, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I sometimes suspect my attitude is getting old and somewhat jaded??? Not quite as old or jaded as Iddee, but I am attempting to catch up as quickly as possible.

it seems to me that Kelleys is slipping quite a bit in recent times. On more than one occasion recently their products quality seems to have moved down a notch even as their price has climbed upward. I have also recently noticed that their web presence seems to be a bit 'second class'. For about six month they have had a prominent banner on their opening page stating that some 'shipment calculator' is not functioning. It seems like they are exerting no effort to fixing these problem?

just old and jaded and over the hill...

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Some of us are better at some things than at others. I imagine that is true w/ companys as well. After all, Corporations are people now. :) Maybe if enuf customers, such as yourself, brought these problems to their attention they would get the picture and fix it. But, who knows what is going on inside the company.

W/ all the complaints I here about another bee supply company, it's a wonder that someone more customer oriented hasn't tried to buy it. Must not be enuf profit in doing so.

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Remember Kelleys is now a new company, it was sold by the Hospital Trust, which had run it for 20 or so years after Mr Kelly had donated it to them.

Murrell

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Or, perhaps more precisely, inherited after Mr. Kelleys' death.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Mark writes:
    After all, Corporations are people now.

tecumseh:
    yea essentially a historical typo repeated so often that folks now think it is true. we do need to confront this error pretty quickly if this democracy is to survive.

so I assume by your prior comment Mark that you hear similar complaints about BetterBee?

6. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Just to put in my 2 cents as to Tec's original question.

Despite what everyone has told me, the frames I got from Kelley's last year were not top-notch. Also, I've noticed with frustration that thier site is a little difficult to navigate sometimes. I had difficulties advancing from one "page" to the next when searching thier online catalog, and couldn't view all of their products.

That said, they do seem to offer a few items not available elsewhere, and I like the fact that they are a company that's been around for some time (although with the previous comments, I guess I've learned they're not so "old" anymore).

-Dan

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I was trying to avoid pointing out a specific outfit, but, yeah.

8. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Well, I'm glad you did. Thank you.

As for Kelley's stuff, I have to agree with Tecumseh. That's what we started out because it was in the kit we were given, and I must say I haven't been happy with the hive bodies. Perhaps it was low grade wood, but our hives experienced cracking and swelling. Oh well, live and learn.