Killer Bees in the News

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jim314, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

Beeracuda, have you come across what you would consider Africanized bees? I think I did last fall in a old water heater. The couple was wanting them removed. There where 3 differant entrances so I taped up two of them. They got very hot very quick. I told the couple I would come back the next day after they cooled down. The next day I parked 20 yards away from them and they swarmed me a soon I got out of the truck. I walked at least a 100 yards away and they were still all over me. The only thing I could do was get back in the truck and drive away with the windows down to blow them out. The water heater and bees are still there as far as I know.

3. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

I am new to beekeeping. I have less than two months under my belt, but it seems like everybody calls me about bees now. A friend recently called me about bees in a brush pile. I approached it very carefully and fully expected Africanized bees. They seemed to be docile, but for the most part unreachable.

I put out a swarm box and came back about 10 days later, not expecting to get anything. Of course, I didn't. What I did get, along with the land owner, was a sting at least 30 yards away. We were almost back to the Jeep and both of us got nailed. The land owner said he would just start a new brush pile, rather than burn that one.