Killing yellow jackets

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

So far I've been lucky enough to have only been called out for actual honey bees, but I know it won't be too much longer before I get a call for yellow jackets, and I'm just wondering if there is a cheap and non-toxic way to kill them. I thought about how soap and water works to kill honey bees quickly and cheaply, so I got to wondering if the same solution also works on yellow jackets. Does anybody know?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, it will work, but YJ's don't sit quietly while it takes effect. They attack. Be suited up well if you try it.

Also, in NC, it is illegal to do unless it is your home or you have a pest control license.

Honeybees can be removed without a license, but not killed.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I leave the yellow jackets for the pest control guys to make a buck off of in hopes they will pass my name on for honeybee removals for me to make a buck off of.

4. Greenb3tree

Greenb3tree New Member

Ditto. It's almost time for me to drop off a Spring round of business cards on the pest control people. I'll mention when I drop them off that if I get called out and it turns out to be something other than honey bees that I will refer them back. I'll ask for a few of their business cards so they know I'm serious.

JC