Labor day weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rast, Aug 29, 2011.

1. rast

rast New Member

Any body else got plans for this weekend? My wife and I have both been ran ragged at our respective jobs. So looking forward to it, we are taking the motorhome and boat to the gulf coast. Thursday til Monday.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I plan to do nothing until I get tired, then rest.

Same as every weekend.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

with classes just started (here at the big cow college down the road) we will likely stay pretty close to home.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Probably start cutting hay this week end if I get the hay roller back together.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

6. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Big honey heist!

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

im driving a child to shriners hospital on monday so wont be doing much

8. jb63

jb63 New Member

Hey 3g what kind of mower do you have?I just put my jd 1460 back together after a year.I mowed 20 ac of wheat straw to test it out.It feels so good to be running again.I had to borrow for hay season,and asking to borrow a friends mower is like asking to borrow his wife[verry uncomfortable].

9. Walt B

Walt B New Member

It's supposed to rain. If it does I'm just going to stand in the rain and get soaked. :Dancing:

Walt

10. pturley

pturley New Member

No soccer games this weekend so I'll be busy elsewhere.

I have a second bathroom to build out in our house (been sitting as studs for several years, time to get moving on it). I don't need to complete it, but just a bit of visible progress wins the boss over. :thumbsup:

A possible spring cut-out to investigate/quote in the rafters of a shed(hopefully it's not hornets this time!). :chased:

(I'll post pics once I get a look at it.)

AND if my in-laws have us over for a picnic, a permanent site to prepare for my trap-out hive.

To keep his mowing out of the flight line, my father-in-law wants me to site my hives down near a creekbed. If this is the case, I'll be setting/concreting-in verticle timbers to build a 4~5 foot tall 4'x8' platform deck (above the flood levels) for them.

My mother-in-law prefers the hives closer to her garden but other than IN the garden near the entrance (fenced in) or on the south side facing north, there is too much shade here.

Despite the additional work and significant material costs, I really like the idea of the elevated deck as it keeps the hives in direct sun, well out of the reach of skunks and within feet of a water source. I had even thought about having the lip of my landing boards overhanging the waters edge. Any wandering SHB larvae that manage to crawl out would end up as fish food.

Yeah, I took an extra vacation day off for this weekend!

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

@jb63, I run a Fella SM320 (10' disc mower), sure is a nice mower, pull it with a 6080 AC (one of the very last ones off of the assembly line before AC closed its doors).

12. Walt B

Walt B New Member

G3, It's not labor day, but part of the long weekend...

Last Sept. 8 you suggested I get my shredder tires foamed and I've been looking ever since. Ran into a guy at Tractor Supply and he told me where there's a place that foams tires. I'm going to drop off the tires Thursday...then I'll wait for the rain and stand in it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking forward to shredding and not fixing flats! :D

Walt

13. rast

rast New Member

Rat, that's doing a lot!

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Let me try this again I wont be doing much on the weekend but come monday I will be driving a young man to St Louis Shriners Hospital be a back to back trip just got home from st louis last night :thumbsup:

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

@ Walt......if you do get your tires foam filled, be sure to get pricing for a virgin fill or a chunked fill. A virgin fill is all new foam pumped into the tire and a chuncked fill is where they cut up pieces of old foam donuts out of old foam filled tires and stuff it into your tire before they fill it (saving them considerable on the foam they pump into your tire plus is a crappy job).

Something else you might check into is to see if you could get some old airplane tires to mount on your rims, those suckers are extra extra thick, check the nearby little airports.

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Walt where did you find a place to foam fill tires? just a curious kind of question really.

17. Walt B

Walt B New Member

18. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Rat:
    As I've posted before..........
    Thank you, Sir.
    Rodger

19. Murrell

Murrell New Member

We used to work on tractors for the Burlington Northern Railroad { that was before they became Burlington Santa-Fe, any way, they used 4 wheel drive Ford farm tractors to mow their right of way, one tractor mowed from ST. Louis MO. to Springfield Mo. a distance of about 250 miles on a continuse basis.
    It was normal to see 2 or 3 rail road spikes stuck in each tire !

The operator said you couldn't believe how hard a ride those things were 8 hrs a day.

Golly talking about age that was more than 17 years ago.

Murrell

20. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Probably go for a bike ride and mix up some geocaching in there.