ladscape fabric under hives - pro's & con's

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by T.J., Apr 19, 2012.

1. T.J.

T.J. New Member

i am getting ready to set up my hives and was wondering what y'all thought about putting landscape fabric down before i set them up?if i do is there anything else that should be put on top of the fabric?

any advice will be appreciated.

thanks,
    T.J.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I use old rubber roofing under mine.

3. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I Hate landscape fabric... I put it in my back yard about a month ago... 2 days ago I had 3 foot weeds comming through, .. Just riped it up an will weed wack it every week

4. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

I have put one row of heavy duty professional grade landscape fabric under mine about 6 weeks ago. Nothing has come thru it yet. I am hoping to put some more down and thinking about covering with wood mulch. Not sure if this invites a pest situation or not? :confused:

5. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Old carpet instead of landscape fabric. Could be gotten for free from installers.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

I have double landscape fabric with about 5" of wood chip mulch on top in my hive area. Had a guy truck in the mulch so it was cheaper that way. Every 5 yrs i'll have to bring in some more mulch but it works well for weeds and looks nice too. I dont know about pests in texas though.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

SHB burrow into the ground to pupate, that is one of the reasons I use the rubber roofing, in the summer when they hit that black rubber it has to fry them, (plus it was free for the taking, just had to haul it off).

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Rubber pond liner is my weed block of choice. Downside - fire ants like to hide under it so hives should be as ant proof as possible.

9. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

TJ,

I use the fabric with gravel dumped about 3" on top of it. This is my second year for it and so far so good. I expand it out about 4 ot 5 feet outside the hive as well so I don't have to mow or trim close to the hive. Never had a weed even try to poke through. No chemicals, either.

10. rast

rast New Member

Gypsi-" Downside - fire ants like to hide under it so hives should be as ant proof as possible."

Isn't that the truth, at least here. And when you step on that squishy spot that turns out to be a fire ant bed while working a hive, you will forget all about that hive shortly or where you put the frame that was in your hands.

11. T.J.

T.J. New Member

sorry about replying back so late.

i want to thank everyone for the advice.it is greatly appreciated.i will probably go ahead and try it out....i found part of a roll so, it wont cost anything to try it.i have enough to do a double layer.

thanks again,
    T.J.

12. Gypsi

Beneficial nematodes really help - but the downside with pondliner and them is that the liner heats the ground and the nematodes don't always last through the year. Although last year's pond liner that I lifted today did NOT have fire ants under it. I do nematodes each spring, usually. I did them last year for sure.

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

Used 1/4" rubber sheet 30" wide, got two rolls ~ 200 ft for $50. No weeds to trim around hives.
    Also have some old swimming pool covers cut to size, same effect.

14. Gypsi

I'm thinking Ontario doesn't have fire ants yet.

15. Marbees

Marbees Member

Yes, but on much smaller scale, wish the answer was no:sad: