Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd do a quick check of my hive this afternoon since it was ~60F. I wanted to see if they had found the sugar I had placed on the newspaper (they haven't). What I did find was some ladybugs that had taken up residence inside the telescoping top and the inner cover. They weren't inside the hive. Did they just find a warm place to winter over? Should I be concerned? The bees don't seem to be doing anything about them (they're still down in the lower deep).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Those look like Asian lady beetles. We get an infestation of them up here every 5 or 6 years. They don't do much damage, but get in everywhere-and I mean everywhere. We kill 8 to 10 of them every day in the house. I haven't looked in my hives for them. Been too cold.

·
Registered
974 Posts
They are beneficial bugs, Are sold to gardners every year to keep aphids at bay.

Fewer aphids mean better blooms and thus more pollen and nectar.

So I would welcome them.

As to answer the question, yes they were looking for a sheltered winter spot.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
:goodpost:
You are right Zulu. The ones I see outside, I leave alone.
The ones that sneak into the house, however, are a different matter :lol:

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I find them as well up here. Not thinking they could harm anything I have tended to leave them alone. Hey, we all look for a place to keep warm this time of year up here in the "tundra". :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Down here we tend not to kill anything that eats other bugs, being that we have so many (unless they kill the girls then I use a big hammer), I would just leave them be they pose no threat to the hive at all

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
bear in mind that some species ( don't know which )are vegatarians and as destructive as the other insects your looking to get rid of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts