Lamb's Ear & SHB

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by ablanton, May 19, 2012.

1. ablanton

ablanton New Member

My wife has this plant in the yard that she calls "Lamb's Ear". I don't know if that is the proper name for it, or not. Maybe someone else will recognize the plant. Anyway, what drew my attention to it was the fact that it was swarming with bumble bees! There must have been a dozen of them. It was pretty cool. As I was watching, I started noticing another interested party. It looks suspiciously like SHB to me. Luckily, the Lamb's Ear is nowhere near my hive.

So my question is this... Could this plant possibly be used to lure the SHB to an area of my yard AWAY from the hives? Or, could this stuff lure SHB into my yard from somewhere else and lead to a bigger problem in my hives? Or, maybe it makes no difference at all? My bees are in a shady yard where they only get sunlight at spotty periods during the day, so I am especially tuned in to the SHB threat.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Doesn't look like SHB to me. :)

Ed

3. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I'm no expert on SHB, so it may not be. It just looks awfully similar to a few of the little critters I've killed in my hive.

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

The antennae are all wrong. Other things. Do a google image search for small hive beetles and compare.

Ed

5. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Yes, I see what you mean. The antennae look a little long.