Lance Cunningham Ford swarm 4-14-11

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Apr 14, 2011.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Got a swarm call from the Ford place saying they had a swarm on the side of the building, AND the caller was wanting to keep the bees and start a hobby of beekeeping on his farm.

Checked on it and had to go look at another swarm real quick, that's in another post.

Did not have any gear with me so had to improvise. All I had was some screen wire and duct tape. Made a makeshift swarm box out of it and hand dipped the the bees out of a small little area where two walls came together and the roof gutter. Got the majority of them out and thought all was well but could still hear bees buzzing loud. Where the two wall came together there was a crack and they were going into a canopy. Had no smoker so improvised again, rolled up some cardboard and let it smoke the bees, worked good. Smoked them girls out of the canopy and they found another crack to go into between the old metal siding and the newer stucco. We will see if I got the queen or not.

Hopefully got another fella started in beekeeping.

Did not have the camera with me since I was coming from work but hopefully we will have a few pics from some of the other folks that were taking them. I invited him to join the forum to gain a little knowledge.

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Re: Lance Cunningham Ford swarm

That's what I love about beekeeping... it keeps you on your toes and having to improvise, adapt, and overcome.

This is a great year for the bees don't you think? Short winter meant lots more swarms... I've already gotten more than I got all year last year and the season has just begun.