Beekeeping Forums banner

Lang question?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  barry42001 
#1 ·
In my intro, I mentioned that I was picking up some Lang hives. I've got them and now I have a question.
Most of these are 8 frame boxes, no problem, but there are some small screens on frames that are the same size of the boxes. The screen is attached on one side of the frame which is about and inch and half. I have no idea what these are to be used for.
They are the same size as the 8 frame boxes and will fit on the top or bottom, but the box would have to sit on the frame. The screen is too small for the bees to go through.
Does anyone have any idea?
Thanks, Robert

#7 ·
I will post some pics when I get some time.
I figured out, with your help, that some of the screens are top covers.
There are several that are the same size, but have notches cut in all four corners on one side??
I will get some pics of them, hopefully next week.
Thanks for your help, Robert

#9 ·
The first one is a queen excluder. The second one is a screen inner cover. The notches are for upper entrances and/or ventilation.

Both are good for traction when your truck gets stuck in the mud. Others may actually use them on beehives, but I don't know why. :twisted: :shock: :D

#12 ·
Even though I am a queen excluder proponent, firmly believing in them, in fact, my bees seem to have a different belief system entirely. After a week with one installed, first straight on then sideways, and basically NO activity in the super (except for a few lost bees), I have officially removed it. My beliefs shattered.

(Okay, I'll say it: Iddee was right. :oops: )

Oh, and I like my screened inner cover for ventilation. (Makes peeking easier, too.)

#15 ·
skyhigh writes:
Even though I am a queen excluder proponent, firmly believing in them, in fact, my bees seem to have a different belief system entirely.

tecumseh:
your state bee inspector Jerry Hayes (I think he wrote under the name G Hayes in the old days) wrote an article long ago about the nature of a queen excluder. as it turns out how it is deployed or used is likely the prime reason a queen excluder is loved or hated by bee keepers far and near. much like a good tool in the hands of someone that knows how to properly use them a queen excluder it is a valuable tool (queen breeders could not get much done without them) in the hands of someone who doesn't understand what they could or should do likely a dangerous play thing that creates more problem that it cures.

with a bit of tinkering you could have changed the belief system of your bees.

#16 ·
Iddee said:
Dang, I wanna marry that gal. In 43 years of marriage, my wife has never said that. :D
:rotfl: Definitely don't speak to my husband about this (I'd like you to keep your delusions. :rotfl:)
That screened inner cover will go, too, when it is totally locked down to the top of 10 frames with hard, sticky propolis.
And, you know, I was wondering about screened inner covers and propolis. My thoughts were, "What makes this any different to a bee from a propolis screen?" (After I bought the thing, I thought of this, of course.) I may have to buy a propolis screen now to save my screened inner cover. :roll:

Tec...I'm going to read up more about using the qx. Or, do you have a good link to someplace that explains how to use them?

#17 ·
skyhigh writes:
What makes this any different to a bee from a propolis screen?"

tecumseh:
likely the size of the screen. I see this fairly commonly on double screens. the ones made with 1/8 inch wrie are never propolized but those made from metal window screen fairly quickly are no longer screens.

ps... I use to have a link to GHayes 1985 or so American Bee Journal Article but I cannot seem to find it. perhaps it is just me but I can't seem to find a search box on this forum either. <I did find a reference date to the article as being August 1985.

#19 ·
I have never had a issue with using queen excluders, never used moving screens as where my bees are is where they will remain barring some unforseen circumstances. What I have done is take a frame of sealed brood and transferred it into the super above the excluder, this encourages other bees to follow and as the brood emerges well they are almost the right age to start comb building ( assuming your placing a undrawn super on the bees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.