Laptop=no sound

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by srvfantexasflood, Jan 23, 2011.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Does anybody have any suggestions for me? My HP laptop has touch controls above the keyboard. When I boot up, the screen tells me the touch control for sound has quit working(and it has). The little icon for sound at the bottom of the screen has an X over the speaker icon. My husband has tried downloading some drivers with no results. I tried ear phones, with no luck. Can this problem be fixed? This problem is really cramping my style.

2. Petar Lukic

Petar Lukic New Member

3. srvfantexasflood

HP Pavillion dv9925nr Notebook PC
    Thank you.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Maybe this is dumb advice, but....
    I have a little key/button on my keyboard that I can push to quickly mute the sound- I push it once and the computer is silent and a red X appears over the speaker icon. I push it again and the sound comes back and the X disappears. Could this be something where you've turned on the mute?
    Or...Maybe if you right-click the red X you will see an option for un-mute?

Just a thought.

5. Petar Lukic

Petar Lukic New Member

That laptop has a media remote control.That can be a reason(off/on).Also,laptop has a two microphones and if you reinstall audio driver you must install chipset driver first.Video presentation on link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gIX4NZPQmo

P.S. My english is not very well.Sory

6. srvfantexasflood

Thanks Petar. But I can't hear what he is saying.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

Oh, the cruel irony!

8. Charles

Charles New Member

Petar's right, with that laptop you should reinstall the chipset driver first then the sound driver. I've read that sometimes it still doesn't fix the issue but worth a try. Audio is kind of flaky on that particular unit. Here's a link on where to get the drivers:

HP dd9925nr drivers

I wasn't sure what version of windows your running so you'll need to pick that first.

Hope that helps :)

9. srvfantexasflood

Windows Vista

Charles: what is a chipset driver?

10. Charles

Charles New Member

The chipset basically controls all of the traffic on the main board (motherboard) on the computer. Sometimes if that driver gets corrupted it can do all kinds of weird things to your PC :)

Here's what I would do to make sure you get the right drivers:

1. From the desktop click the start button, then on the right side of the start menu right click on the word "Computer" and choose properties.

2. In the window that pops up make note of the line "system type" it will either be 64-bit or 32-bit operating system. This will tell us later what operating system to pick for the drivers.

3. Next click "device manager" in the upper left corner of that same window, you'll probably get a popup asking for permission to continue. Click continue.

4. In the new window that comes up make sure there is nothing with an exclamation mark (!). Click the plus sign next to "sound, video and game controllers". There are 2 possible sound cards for that laptop so make note here if it is conexant or realtek.

5. Close all the windows

You now have all the info to download the correct drivers. Follow the link I posted above and choose the right operating system. It will either be Windows Vista (32bit) or Windows Vista (64 bit). Remember we got that info in step 2. Next download the chipset driver and the audio driver (remember step 4)

Install the chipset driver first, reboot, then the audio driver.

If we're lucky and it was only a driver problem then your sound should be back :Dancing:

11. srvfantexasflood

Thanks Charles for all your help. I called the HP help line to see if it was a technological problem or just a speaker malfunction. After 3 phone calls (to India) they walked me through all that. The speakers did start working, for a day. What we did caused some other minor problems. So...the husband went out and bought a flash drive and a new laptop. I am in the process of transferring the important stuff to the new computer. My son is going to take the old and try to reformat it so that he can use it for school.
    There were some audio files that I wouldn't have been able to replace. So they are safe for now.

12. Charles

Charles New Member

Ouch, the dreaded guys in India. Hopefully your boy can get some good use out of that laptop, congrats on the new machine :)