Large Hive Beetle?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Bens-Bees, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Is there such a thing as a large hive beetle? I have been seeing a few large beetles that don't seem like SHB. For one thing they are easily 3 times larger (too large to fit into the traps even. For another thing they are very slow moving, not fast like the SHB at all. Finally the bees totally ignore them. I'm wondering what they are? Any ideas? Unfortunately my camera kicked the bucket for good and won't take pictures at all now so I can't get any pictures until I get a new camera which probably won't be until around Christmas.

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I can't tell from your description what it is that you are seeing. But there are lots of things in bee hives other than bees.

There's no such critter called Large Hive Beetle that I know of. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. But I guess if you start seeing lots of them you could find an entomologist to identify it for you. We have County Extension Entomologists here in NY that help id insects for anyone. Maybe you do too.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Give a little better description and maybe we can figure it out.

Catch one of them and contact Dr. John Skinner 865-974-0209

G3

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I'm not sure how to describe them any better, and I still don't have a new camera... so I'll just have to see if I can catch one. So far every time I've seen one I've had my hands full. The beetle eater traps in the hives won't work on them either because they're definately too big to fit through the holes.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Beetles are (as a group) very numerous in the insect world. You could check with your state entomologist and I would not be surprised if even within a state if the number of species may range into the tens of thousands... world wide likely in the millions. Here we have times of the years when the black one and the brown ones will flourish for a short period of time and you can find these in all kinds of odd places.

The small hive beetle is small and very fast (except when it gets cold)....