Larry's swarm 4-7-12

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Apr 7, 2012.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Got the call of a swarm in a tree about 12 foot up, already had the 10 foot ladder on the truck from wok the other day. Before I could get out the door Larry calls back saying they are starting to swarm again but a big clump fell to the ground, told him I was coming out anyway. About 5 miles down the road Larry calls again saying they have moved into a rose bush, even better, don't need the ladder. Got there and found a nice little 3 pound or better swarm. Wife got a couple of pics and then got a little excited and missed the video, oh well there is always next time. This is the same yard that James got a call on two weeks ago but they left before he get get out the door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS18...DvjVQa1PpcFMdnP-dxgEo5NLjo47XybQTRY6R4PEL3Nk=

Tried to get Larry to play in the bees but it was no dice!!:lol:

2. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

So how is it all the ones with lots of practice get to shake your bees from ground level, and I end up dangling from a ladder whats the trick?

3. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Awesome. Glad u got 'em. Did you happen to find the original hive? It must be a dandy to throw 2 swarms like that.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Not sure what the trick is, been dangling myself my times. Just lucky I guess.

I always ask how high they are then add 5 feet to it. Still pretty nimble and not afraid of heights so I go after them if I feel safe. There are several ways to get the high ones down, as long as you can reach them.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

James I looked around for another hive, this is a pretty old neighborhood and lots of big old trees. Might not have come from the same hive though!!

6. wadehump

wadehump New Member

future swarm trap locations?

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Real good possibility. After talking with the home owner and getting in close to the bees he just kept coming closer and closer. At one point I thought he was going to ask for the hive to be left behind but he declined.