Last of the hive work for the year

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by R Dewhurst, Dec 16, 2012.

1. R Dewhurst

R Dewhurst New Member

Put the last sugar board on today. Hive was very aggressive so they had to be smoked.
    IMG_1332.JPG IMG_1333.JPG IMG_1334.JPG IMG_1336.JPG IMG_1337.JPG IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1341.JPG IMG_1345.JPG

Also been building hive bodies and supers for next year. The table saw and dado blade has been getting a real workout.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Hives and wooden ware looks good, are you planing on splitting the hives to to fill the new equipment?

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nothing like being prepared, something that most of us as beeks regularly discover we're not. :thumbsup:

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I see your frames are flush with the hive top and i'm guessing you leave a 3/8 gap on the bottom. With the hives and supers i've bought boxes from different bee supplies, (not built the same) i now make my own and make them with a 3/8 gap top and bottom to keep from killing bees when exchanging boxes.:roll: Yes, i do have alot of burr comb built up and have to scrape off in some hives ( lunch if it doesn't have drone brood in it:lol:) but i don't smash bees when working them.:thumbsup: Jack

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I've taken to splitting the difference top and bottom.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I never get over the pleasure of seeing new equipment. There's something special about seeing all that white wood in a hive before it gets darkened from use.
    What's the function of that top crossboard in picture #5?

7. R Dewhurst

R Dewhurst New Member

spacer on top of the frames for the sugar board.

Brooksbeefarm..... The frames set down into the boxes so the 3/8 gap ison top of the box, and the frames are flush with the bottom of teh box. Plans used from beesource as my blue prints.

8. R Dewhurst

R Dewhurst New Member

Ordering Russian packages from kelly.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

R Dewhurst, i took another look of the frames with the spacer on them. At first glance i thought i was looking at the bottom of the frames. I've never used those split top bars, do you like them? Jack