Late flowering Boneset

Discussion in 'Plant Identification' started by 2kooldad, Aug 30, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

This is Late Flowering Boneset (AKA...Late Flowering Thoroughwart)

Attached Files:

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Boneset is like our goldenrod here in SW. Mo. You never see a honey bee on it. :confused: Jack

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I know right....thats why I had so much trouble finding it....but boneset was what clued me into it...there were so many similaritys...the leaves are almost the same except they have a stem instead of being set right at the stock like regular boneset...the leaves an new stems alternate around the plant the same way and the flowers were identical...the woody bark an hieght didnt match either....sub spieces i guess...i've never seen regular boneset other than in pictures an there were bees but not alot of them....i didnt see a whole lot of it growing other than there so its problly one of those times when they are hitting all kinds of stuff to make ends meet....thats just my opinion tho :/

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

why dont you see bees on the goldenrod...we have more than one kind of goldenrod here an from what i was told awhile back honeybees only like one kind...im not sure how true that is...i've watched lots of flowers in bloom an there were no bees on them except non honey bees...an then like somebody said it was ok...there they were...crape myrtle is like that here along with a bunch of others...they wont touch it untill they want to....sometimes i guess the time of day has something to do with it....beats me :/

6. rast

rast New Member

They don't touch my crape myrtle and I had a hive starve to death on the species of golden rod over here.

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ya know its funny Rast....i havent seen them on the goldenrod around here either...there is one row of fence about 1/2 mile long with goldenrod all down it....not one honey bee....but in citrus they are on it...there are also lovebugs comming out now an they love it...ive heard the bees wont touch it if lovebugs are on it...again just what i heard...and the crape myrtles....hows this for a theory...they only get pollen from the myrtles right....when i see them on it its in the afternoon....maybe they go for nector plants in the AM before its hot an dried up an then worry about pollen after....im problly wrong but....well thats my theory :/ they have been hitting the elephants foot here pretty good and this little vine that i havent ID'd yet...the spanish needles are blooming but i havent caught them on it yet....the feral hive is bringing in nector/pollen from someplace...what else is blooming now ????